Jensen C-JR
Description: Jensen C-JR 5 1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers(Pair)

Submitted by KeithH a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
Bought these for use as cheap/disposable monitors for mobile recording. Sounded like a pair of cheap disposable speakers at first, although better than most cheap speakers I've heard. The quality of the boxes seemed pretty poor [ringy] so, I applied automotive sound-deadening pads to all inside surfaces, and used polyester quilt batting to increase the amount of lining inside the boxes. BIG improvement. When time permits, I intend to improve the crossover [all they have is one capacitor for 6db rolloff on the tweeter!] Maybe this winter I'll experiment with different crossover arrangements. Overall, a fun cheap project, and they serve their intended purpose well.

Purchased At:   via Ebay

Submitted by profrancis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
these speakers are amazing, compared it with other speakers in its price range at CC and these were the best. I was in the process of moving and I moved my primary speakers first (Studio 100) and I ended hooking up these Jensens and I was surprise how open it sounded. For 30 a pair you cant beat it.
with the right equipment these jewels can really sing. I have rated alot of equipment and I must say that these is a killer deal.

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by drkielbasa a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
Needed a cheap set for the workshop. My reference stereo consists of Conrad Johnson, Rega and Magnepan 1.6's. Other small speakers I have owned and loved include Tangent M02's, Rogers LS3/5a, Polk 5+ jrs. EPI TE/70, ADS L400, Infinity RS2000, Genesis 1+. For $40/pr you can't go wrong. I bought these at CC after serious comparison using Reference Recording's MN symphony 100 yr Copeland Aniversary CD and Jennifer Warnes Famous Blue Raincoat CD. There are problems in the crossover region that I intend to refine along with some cabinet retuning. They also lack the warmth found in more refined designs. They do very well at both low and high volumes and are not boxy sounding at all like most small speakers. That cast a fairly large image. Warning!! CC had these wired out of phase (on purpose?). They beat the $50 Sony's hands down and dare I say that the low end Polk Models R10 and Rt15's were miserably murky. Good speakers can sound warm and open at the same time. The Rt25's were definitely a big step up, but there are so many better picks in that price range. The Infinity Interlude 10's were excellent as far as tonal accuracy goes, but you can't do justice to a review on $400 speakers without living with them for a while. These Jensens should do fine. If anything, I can use the cabinets and 5" driver as a starting point for tweaking with some vifa or peerless tweeters and decent crossovers. I will post a followup if I make any amazing discoveries.

Purchased At:   CC