Jean-Marie Reynaud Offrande
Description: This highly original system of uncompromising design, is a veritable exercise in style, and the ultimate achievement of a career that has been passionately pursued over nearly 30 years.

Submitted by Russ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2006

Bottom Line:
I am posting this review as I listen to the speakers I just purchased to replace my JMR Offrandes. I had the bug for something different, even though I have never heard speakers I enjoyed more than the Offrandes. Afar three weeks the new speakers are up for sale and I am looking for another pair of Offrandes.

The Offrandes make music. It is as simple as that, but it took a change in the system for me to appreciate what I had. They are excellent at pouring forth the emotion of the musician. The soundstage is deep and wide the speakers completely disappear on most music. There are no harsh edges and the drivers integrate perfectly.

I listen to jazz, blues, and still like some hard rock occasionally. The Offrandes play them all with aplomb. Bass is completely adequate. Kick drums, snare drums are hard and taught as they should be. In my room I get 30hz with only a 3db loss and 25 hz down 10db which I think is amazing for a 7" bass driver. I had a Totem subwoofer and I moved it to another system because I feel no need for a subwoofer with the Offrandes.

Vocals are simply incredible. You actually feel the singer is right in front of you.

Amps I have owned and used with the Offrandes include CJ, 2250a, Krell fpb300cx, Manley snapper mono blocks, some other tube amps and now with a Jeff Rowland Concerto integrated.
They sounded good with all of them, with each amp adding it's own coloration but the Offrandes basic character was never lost.

With a 4ohm load my big Krell pumped out an incredible 600 watts a channel, and the Offrandes sounded clean and absolutely fabulous even at very loud levels with that amp. Crisp and clean with no fatigue at all. With the Snappers in triode they were lush and warm, I felt a little too soft but it was still a great match. The Rowland fits my taste best. Power to spare at 500 watts into 4 ohms. delicate highs, incredibly coherent midrange, wonderful soundstage and deep thunderous controlled low bass. Yes all from a monitor.

This is a speaker for music lovers, not neccesarily for audiophiles. They are not the last word in resolution or hyper detailed.

Purchased At:   private owner

Submitted by pauljvl a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2005

Bottom Line:
these loudspeaker are considered one of the most musical balanced loudspeakers in the world.The is totally the truth they have been just upgraded and they are magic the reed from the sax sounds real the splash off a cymbal just sizzels
,the one thing that is way over looked is balance , and musicality. I have listened to sonus faber, Marten, Merlin,
jmlabs be , they just are not involving, these have body and warmth and still excellent detail. this is rare ,
and they will go down to a honest 30hz
within 2db .and they are wonderfull to look at .Solid beech with matching stands that are part of the system and
very easy to place in a room these are a average size monitor except 16 plus ' front to back.read the review then you owe it to yourself to hear these .
Breakin time is a bit long around 150 hrs to start loosening up and improvement up to 400+ hrs , but well worth the wait. .
I compared these with speakers that were 50 % more and these were better in every way and I have had many systems .I will not part with these even my neighbors love them and they never noticed my pmc loudspeakers before ,and these got rave reviews. This company does not advertise ,and has a huge following in
Europe and the far east ,north america
has a good following also ,how did the U.K. miss the boat on these ? Poissibly politics. All theire product are custoom made in house with many technical innovations , sound well balanced and natural.I give these my highest accolades A +

Purchased At:   Hifidelityaudio.co.u

Submitted by mike kletecka a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased a new pair of S.F. Guarnari's 10 months ago that I scrimped and saved to buy. Prior to that, I listened to a lot of different speakers before buying the Guarnari's. Please keep in mind, that I am not a buyer and seller of equipment and typically keep my
equipment for a long time, in fact, I kept my old system for 6 years and
enjoyed every minute of that system.

However, by sheer accident I heard a pair JMR Offrandes, which, quite frankly blew me away to a point that I came back equipped with CD's in hand to give them careful scrutiny. Upon listening to them for several hours, I came to the conclusion that FOR ME the Offrandes provided a better connection to the music in the most realistic kind way and more
importantly out did the Guarnari's in every way - I only wish that I heard this speaker before I purchased the Guarnari’s. Anyway, I took my financial licks “ouch” and sold the Guarnari’s for a $3,700 loss and now have a new pair of
new Offrandes, which have provided me with music so wonderful and “REAL” that
I feel that I can almost reach out and touch it, (a rare attribute for most speakers).

In conclusion, for any of you looking for speakers, you owe it to yourself to give these a listen. They may not be ultimately for you, and you may wind up buying something else, however, I can guarantee you that you will certainly be impressed.

Purchased At:   evolution audio

Submitted by Paul Co a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
It is been long, long time to find a right speaker I know that Searching right speaker is impossible. but Offrande was so closer.
I have been trying many speaker.(B&w(didn't like it), sonus faber, dynaudio, Linn(regreted), Apogee(closer), inifinity, polk audio, energy, ceratec, Jbl, Klipse and wilson audio.
Those speaker may give people satisfaction. but It was not to me.
I have been changing speaker for over 8 year.
But now I finally set up with offrande.
This speaker sounds so good that I don't want to turn it off.
My room is fill with joyness of true music. Playing Classic guitar music, I feel like there is nothing but guitar sound and a brething of player.
It may not give really low bass but who care. It gives enough bass(30HZ).
I almost end up with souns faber gueri...
But I am so grad that I purchased offrande. I made a great dicision.
If anyone looking for a great speaker with affordable price. Get offrande. You will never regret.
The company gives a great service their custmers.

Purchased At:   NY dealer

Submitted by oliver a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
This speaker is euphonic in both positive and negative senses of this word.

Why would you buy it?
It can make you cry, that's why.
Its sound is unique in its ability to captivate you and emotionally involve with music.
There is something engineered in this speaker that creates a certain 'halo effect' around instruments that makes female vocals especially soulful and violins weep like they are alive.
At the same time it allows you to hear even slightest microdetails and nuances of the recording.
For many audiophiles the above qualities are enough to buy this speaker and pay its rather highish price (as well as even higher price!). I don't think I can add anything to that.

Why would not you buy it?
You have to pay a price for the euphonia.
This price is a sound which deviates too much from being truthful and accurate.
That same 'aura' can become overbearing at times when it is felt as inappropriate and as an add on to the speaker's 'level of noise'.
Instruments lower in pitch than violins and female vocals sound tonally inaccurate: a cello sometimes sounds like it is not one but many cellos playing (more the 'aura' than a cello itself), male voices lose their fundamental chestiness.
Lower in the range - lower cello strings sometimes sound like basses.
Moreover, the speaker feels like it has somewhat high 'noise floor' and opaqueness if you know what I mean.
On complex orchestral pieces this feels like a slight loss of 'air', which is not helped by a their rolled off and smoothened treble.

Comparing Offrande with other best representatives of the genre of mini-monitiors - it's more similar to the likes of Sonus Faber Electra Amator 2 than to the likes of Dynaudio and B&W N805.

Speaking about price and value ...
It's hard to pigeonhole this speaker.
It has a bass extension of a floorstander (even beats many), but it does not have an 'easy-going' nature of a good floorstander's bass (there's no magic here - you need a big woofer to achieve this).
At the same time it does not work in small rooms which is a typical realm of a mini-monitor (Offrandes need space to breath), and it costs like a good floorstander.
It's only the uniqueness of its voicing that buys it, but pragmatically speaking this speaker is overpriced, hence I give it 3 for 'value-for-money'.