Jean-Marie Reynaud Evolution 1
Description: The Evolution-1 loudspeaker system is a compact speaker system featuring a good sensitivity, high linearity and excellent dynamic parameters.

Submitted by Severin Eskeland a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is in my opinion by clear the best minimonitor in its price range. Few coil speakers comes so close to natural rendering of acoustic music. In fact it can be compared to the electrostat. The Evolution is a special cross between a transmissionline and horn speaker. The tweeter is designed by Reynaud and is also used in the top of the line units. The attention paid to the fixing of the bass unit is unusual in this price class and gives a super tight bass response. However this is not the best choice of speaker for the Rock enthusiast. Bass response is tight and impressive for the small size, but there are other minispeakers who will deliver more punch for the money, like the BW 850. However in all other departments the Evolution 1 is a winner. Reynaud really knows his stuff. This speaker is really easy to drive and perfect for small tube amplifiers. You really also should pay attention to the cables to get the most out of this speaker and to tune your system to the best. Some cables like the Fadel Art SC1 seem to squeze out an exctra octave in the low frequency range.

Submitted by Sten Kristiansen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
I use my minimonitors with REL Storm subwoofer, so I have everything I need between 18 >Hz >20000.
Theese speakers really disepear!!!!
I've never heard this "illusion" before, but belive me: you know it when you "see" it!!

The first time I used it, I hooked it up with NAD C340, and an old NAD 5040 CD-player. This sounded good, and I realized what HiFi really was all about.

So I bought a Rotel RCD971 HDCD-player and Electrocompaniet ECI3.
Among all the other things, this really improved the 3D in my soundstage.
I am perfectly happy with theese speakers, but I will consider changing to another pair of JMR speakers (Offrande, mayebe) when I am finished at school.
At week moments, I really miss the warmth I had while trying out the Magnat V70 ; (