JBL XPL-200

Submitted by Gregory L. Solomon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2014

Bottom Line:
Let me start out by saying that JBL has finally outdone themselves with these fabulous audiophile speakers. I acquired them on the cheap for a mere $650 ($3500 original retail)from a fellow who was relocating to VA, because of his job back in the early 1990's, after answering a newspaper classified ad. Lucky me! I never get tired of listening to them. They perform well with any type of music you throw at them: jazz, classical, easy listening, choral, chamber, gospel, soul, or reggae. They also image very well. I have the European version in dark walnut. It looks like a fine piece of furniture with its rounded back, and trapezoidal shape to breakup any standing waves that might color the sound. A real sight for sore eyes. I will never sell them, because I have never heard any other speakers out there that can come close to their stellar performance. It's sad that JBL stopped producing serious speakers like these. Unfortunately, like everyone else, they have gone the way of the masses. I have the XPL200's currently bi-wired, and have yet to experience the bi-amping option that everyone on here says make these speakers really shine. I have given up on trying to find the elusive JBL DX-1 outboard crossover network for them. But I will try other brands of crossovers, such as the Crown VFX-1A that's been mentioned. Grab a pair of these amazing speakers, if you can find them. You will not be disappointed.

Submitted by zipcode100 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2009

Bottom Line:
Long story short. I purchased those speakers brand new at a dealer bankruptcy clearance for $2,500.00
At first I was very pleased with the clean sound and the best bass response I've heard in a home speaker.
I had put aside my ESS amt1-monitor and was planing to sell them. Until one day a friend of mine brought over some very dynamic CDs with lots of vocals. To my great surprise I discovered a flaw that I could no longer live with. On certain frequencies on certain vocals, mostly female, the mid titanium tweeters would buzz !!
Every time I listened to the speakers after, I was looking for that buzz which would be seldom present on some music programs. I sold the JBL on e-bay and reinstated my ESS. Still the reference.\
PS. Perhaps bi-amping would have soved this problem,,dunno.
-Claude

Submitted by jblnut a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
This review is for the little brother of the XPL200, the XPL140. They are identical in the mid and tweeter, but the XPL140 has only an 8" low frequency driver instead of the 8/12 combo the 200 has. Since I've never heard the 200 I can't compare them, but I have heard many other JBLs as well as some other very high quality speaker systems and I must say the XPL140 is amazing. These were JBL's last attempt to put out a high end speaker for the US market. I believe these retailed for $2k/pair in 1990 with the 200 being closer to $5k.
It's too bad JBL abandoned the high end because these were just so well executed. The cabinet is beautifully made and finished in a grand piano-like black finish. All of the drivers are of extremely high quality, as is the crossover network and the internal wiring (using Monster cable). They are setup for bi-wiring from the factory so you can use two different amps for the lows/highs if you choose. I'm using a small Carver (TFM-6C) for the highs and a monster old Yamaha pro amp (PC2002) for the lows. Where these speakers shine versus some of the other JBLs I've heard is in the imaging and soundstage. Whether its the trapezoidal cabinet design, the special mounting stands, or the amazing titanium dome midrange driver I can't say, but the results speak for themselves. Music seems to come from all around the speakers, both horizontally and vertically. I'm still playing with my system to get the most out of them. Once I get the right combo of interconnects, preamp and amps, I think the speakers will sound even better than they already do.

If I ever replace them, it will be because I got a killer deal on XPL200's or Ti250's :-).

Submitted by Craig Wentzel-Siva a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had been associated with the audio fanatic scene in Portland for quite awhile, when I stumbled on the XPL line. I don't actually recall the model, but I believe it was the XPL175 that I purchased originally, with 10" woofers, but I was never totally satisfied with the bass response compared to that of the XPL200. Short story, I bit the financial bullet, traded my XPL175's in (they were a hot commodity as well) and took home a set of recently returned "A" grade XPL200's, (too big for the house, his wife said), a pair of XPL90's to use as rear sum/difference fill speakers (A take-off from a Bang & Olufsen accessory), and 3 fully modified Hafler DH-220 mono-blocks that were just put on consignment. Though I have not ventured into bi-amping, I do use the XPL200's bi-wiring capabilities, with 3 double strands per polarity, per section (Total 24 strands of 10ga Maxus Rope-Strand per speaker). The bottom end is solid and clean, with the mid and upper range smooth and effortless. I use a Hafler DH-101 preamp, modified to passive, save for the low gain section of the phono stage, and a Dynavector/Decca London pickup combination on an Audio Linear table. My CD is a Kyocera DA-910. I have searched many places for another set of 200's, but have come up empty-handed. My last tweak of them was to upgrade the light gauge internal factory wiring to 4 strands per polarity 10ga all around. Results were as expected, a much fuller dynamic range, and tighter response. Story has it, the XPL was the prototype "upscale" speaker line resulting from the merger of Harmon-Kardon and JBL, however costs associated with production for the esoteric oriented consumer were not as profitable as planned, and the line was scrapped after the intial roll-out. A big gain for a limited amount of people. Thank You, JBL.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Custom Audio Shop

Submitted by william a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
I first heard the XPL-200 speakers at a mid-fi dealer being demonstrated in a room with very poor acoustics. They were being driven by Hafler electronics using a dvd as source material. I was immediately struck by their dynamic range, and apparent speed of the drivers, especially in the mid-range frequencies. The two features that most interested me were their use of JBL's 2nd generation titanium tweeter, and a new titanium dome upper midrange driver.
I located a seller who was liquidating his JBL line. He had the XPL-200s sitting directly on the floor, and frankly they sounded awful. I agreed to purchase them after he locate the stands. Even though they are floor standing speakers, they are designed to be raised above the floor and tilted back slightly.
For several years I appreciated their relatively flat response and ability to perform well with all types of music. They also were accurate enough to benefit from periodic upgrades in my electronics, especially preamplifiers. I had been satisfied with them, but not overwhelmed.
One day I decided to bi-amp them, just to see what they would sound like. I couldn't find a DX-1, so I just used a linkwitz/riley 24 db/octive active cross-over and set the low/high pass between 300Htz and 400Htz. I was literally blown away by the difference in sound. The speakers literally came alive. They sounded much cleaner and less congested. The dynamic range was much better. Bass reponse went much lower, with much more punch. Voices were clearer, and on good recordings they are so eerily realistic you could close your eyes feel the vocalists in the room with you. With the cross-over, the speakers literally disappear. Sound comes from behind, outside, between and in front; much like it does with fine mini-monitors.
I still occasionally audition fine quality loudspeakers from time to time just so that I know where the state of the art is. I have yet to find any single speaker for less than $15,000 that approaches the XPL-200. Audio-snobs still snicker when I mention that I'm using a pair of old JBLs, but their jaws drop once they hear the music coming through these speakers.

Purchased At:   Audio System Installer