JBL Music 1
Description: music 1

Submitted by ryan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got these while I was in college and had them in my dorm room, then two apartments, followed by two rental houses and finally my house. Needless to say they were moved around a lot and their small size was great for this.

I am a bit of a treble junkie and have been known to bias my EQ in that direction - as a result I blew the tweets out of these things a couple times ( even though I never really cranked the volume up that high ) - JBL fixed them the first time and I did after that. When they blew the third time, I put them in a closet and went and bought some Polks.

Because of my particular taste for treble, I loved the sound from these speakers ( when they were not blown ). I used them mostly for music and some movies.

I suppose it was my fault that the speakers blew because I cranked up the treble, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth so am only giving 3 stars.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had these as my primary speakers for a while in a small room and they did ok. Now I've moved them to my rear surround in a larger room, and they are great for that. I have AR-318's in the front and a cheap Technics center channel (which I need to replace), and these JBL's compliment the AR's very well. For the money I paid, I have no complaints about these guys, but if I had paid the original retail price of $650, I would have been sorely disappointed.

Purchased At:   Dillards

Submitted by George Priest a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
The highs and low are great and my only real complaint is with the mids. Can handle 80W rms per channel but anything beyond that lead the mids to distort. For the best base results I found that stacking the base modules on top of each other in a corner works best.
Not for everyone but if looking for more than a boombox but not quite a living room set up then this will work. Otherwise go with larger speakers.

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by Hugh Lam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2000

Bottom Line:

I bought JBL music 1 from UBID.com $86.00 plus
overcharged for shipping. I have so many speakers at
home including 4 receivers and 1 digital karaoke A/V
amplifier.

For me, I don't like JBL speaker instead of
Klipsch was my first choice. Here, I wanted to say
and believed that JBL music 1, the sound and the bass
were very good for music, movie and my taste.

I put 2 Sats together in the same corner of
my room. The bass was so pretty good if you don't
overpower them from your receiver. Also the sound
was so clear. I thought that it was Klipsch speaker.
Only thing I didn't like it was 2 SATS, a problem
for wires connetion.

I would like to give it 5 stars. Because it made
my receiver doing good job.

Submitted by R dM a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
I don't know why some people would say that the speakers are weak. First of all, you have to maximize the power of this unit. It is intended for a dormitory room or a adequate sized room. you cannot spread the sats too far out from each other, because they will not be effective. I was impressed by the bass coming from the Subs, the Sats are weak because they are not intended to overpower the Subs. I added an equalizer and a JBL Center and it rocks, believe me. Considering the price that I payed for it from UBID (100$), I am very, very happy with it.