JBL LX44
Description: Floor standing speaker system

Submitted by Jon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2016

Bottom Line:
I bought my pair of LX-44s when they were first introduced in the early 90s.
I paired them with an Onkyo Tuner/receiver and CD player.
The system has always sounded smooth and crisp across the board.
I recently had to refoam the drivers but it was very easy and they sound as good now as they did when I first bought them.
Some of my friends have said that the highs were too much but, after listening to their systems, I am not surprised about the criticism.
I have always been pleased with the lows, mid range and highs. It is actually very even across the board.
Why JBL doesn't make them any longer is a mystery to me. I can't find any of their products that match up to these as well.
They really should go back to their old plans for these and get them back into production.
To me, for the price I paid then, $299 ea. when I bought the whole system, was the equivalent of $1000 speaker today. Very much worth every nickel.
I'd buy another set in a second if they were available.
I would advise you to snatch them up if you see them for sale somewhere. Do not hesitate. They are a very well engineered speaker, designed perfectly for a home system.

Submitted by Jon L a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2016

Bottom Line:
I've had my JBL LX-44s for over 25 years. I've loved every minute of listening to them. Up to now they've ben extremely accurate, clean and durable.
The sound is wonderful across the board. Clear crisp titanium , tweeters, smooth midrange, and strong (not booming) woofers.
Never had any problems until recently. I find that, after 25+ years of use, the woofers need to be re-foamed or replaced.
I'm in search of equivalent replacements so I might preserve their great performance.
If you ever come across a pair of these, do buy them.
As far as I am concerned, they are the very best speakers you can buy for your home, hands down.
No, they won't fill a concert hall. They aren't supposed to. They ARE a great home entertainment main speaker or even a aux. speaker for your home theater system. Paired with the right sub-woofer and aux speakers, they would be terrific.

Submitted by JHT a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2014

Bottom Line:
Well folks the JBL (James B. Lansing) as in (Altec Lansing)- 2 of the Greatest Audio engineers and Audio transducer (speaker/cabinet) builders in the world, - LX44 was designed directly from JBL's PRO series Studio Monitor est.cost around $10,000 each, for the Home. Thats why they sound so great.
If you find a pair for sale BUY THEM and re-fit the new cones or transducer.
Its Flat line across the audio spectrum with spectacular clarity.

Treat your self to a real world of sound..

Submitted by Sam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2014

Bottom Line:
I got a pair of LX44's from a friend for $20/pr.The reason they were so cheap was because the foam was out of the woofers.A few weeks latter I saw a set of Bose 201's a neighbor threw away in the garbage. I quickly retrieved them and noticed the speaker cabinet was in really bad shape but the woofers were like new. Instead of having my JBL woofers refoamed I took these Bose woofers out of the old cabinet and put them in my JBL speakers. To my surprise the sounded fantastic,maybe even better than the original speakers.Then a few months latter I saw a pair of JBL G200's at a garage sale so I bought them for $30.00/pr.They were like new so I used them for my surround sound speakers. I've never hears better sounding speakers any where for any price.I could have spent a couple of grand and still not get a better sounding speaker.I have them hooked up to a Denon AVR-3200 receiver with a Polkaudio center speaker and a JBL sub woofer.This thing ROCKS.It's like being at a live concert. Best system I ever owned and saved a ton of money to boot.

Submitted by Scotty1023 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of JBL LX 44 speakers and was really impressed. They had a great sound with a real rich sound. I think the high range was too much but I just turned it down with a high filter an equalizer. It my first pair of JBLs and I am hooked on them. If you want to get a pair you will enjoy them. I powered them with a vintage Pioneer SX 750 and they matched up real nice.
Scott in SC