JBL LX 600

Submitted by trellix78 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2005

Bottom Line:
I found out my uncle had these speakers
hidden in his attic, so I decided to
borrow them from him. These things are
pretty heavy and seem well-built.
After placement of 2 feets from the wall,
I hooked them up to my NAD 1150 preamp and
NAD 2200 amp using regular lamp cord with
soldered ends.
Source audio was from my workstation computer through a Soundblaster Audigy 2
card and out across 5 feet of Radio Shack
RCA gold-plated cables.

I played Dizzy Gillespie's Manteca(Funky Lowlives Remix) from the Verve Remixed 2
CD and was blown away.

It's hard to describe the sound of the JBL
LX 600, except that there is a lack of pretentiousness. Like my NAD equipment,
they are no frills and don't shout to be
given attention.

Even at less than 1/3 turn of the big volume knob on the preamp, I was in love
with these speakers. I couldn't turn it
up to half because it became unbearable.

Yet, I got the feeling that the LX600 can
take all the power the NAD amp can throw
at it...amazing.

Another thing that amazed me is the quickness of the woofer. There are a couple of moments in the Manteca song
with very fast double beats and yet
it sounded very real. I sat there
with the grills off and stared with
my mouth open.
Mids were very clear and open.
Highs were sharp without being harsh.
As one of the other reviews mentioned,
horrible source material like low bitrate
MP3 will be magnified.
Lows were very good for music.
I don't watch much TV so sub bass
performance is not important to me.

The LX600's are very similar to my
friend's JBL E90 speakers that I had
the pleasure of torturing with my
equipment. They just have more satisfying
bass that hits you in the chest.

I listened Acid Jazz, Jazz, R&B
and the fusion stuff and yet the
sound was real, full and transparent.

I'm no audiophile and I work for a living
but these are worth every penny.

Purchased At:   Uncle

Submitted by Legend_fan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great speakers. Great bass and clear mid-range make them almost perfect for any types of music including classical, rock, pop, etc.. I love them and think they are worth every penny I spent.

Submitted by Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought my LX600s about 8 years ago and have always been pleased with their sound. CD players and receivers/amps have come and gone, but my speakers have stayed, and I always thought they sounded good. But within the past few months I've upgraded my interconnects and speaker cables and have been blown away by the wonderful new music coming from my old JBLs. The interconnects have especially made a huge difference. The improved soundstage and detail is amazing. They're really great speakers. And I can't believe it's taken me 8 years to realize it.

Submitted by tim wasinger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
ill always love these for their inate ability to show me what I truly was missing in good overall audio, home theatre sound/ 5.1 music sound. and ive moved these downstairs w/ an onkyo txds 747 receiver w/ far better amp, the base dont hit the very bottom but is decent for music I added a psw 120 sub to augment lowest octaves. Ill always be enchanted w/ these for introducing me to better sound at a high value. Ive now moved into seperates, mirage, adcom lexicon, mit cables HEY LET IT ROLL, GREAT WEB SITE!!!!!

Submitted by t. w a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have to report that these were my first speakers I bought four plus a center channel and a psw 1200 powered sub. in a home theatre setup. Let me tell you these boys rock, plenty of detail ; due to the titanium tweeters used . One very important thing when driving these speakers is to keep in mind not to skimp on amplification. Theyre specified at 8 ohms and 91 db. sensitivity, however they sounded flat listening to Filters single "Hey Man Nice Shot" through my 600 us dollar kenwood receiver which was specd. at 100 watts per channel. Also listening to Pink Floyds album Delicate Sound Of Thunder track number six confirmed my need for purchasing a sepreate Adcom five channel amp.From the first few SECONDS these speakers transformed into dynamic , explosive speakers that revealed many subtle details in the source material such as the splashing of waves pounding at the sides of the boat and hearing the oars creaking.{Again PINK FLOYD TRACK # 1} Great value just mate with proper electronics.As for base I found them to be lacking only in the lowest octaves, hence my adding a subwoofer for a little more depth,also I feel these speakers are very responsive to the signal feeding it in other words theyre fast, I believe the use of a 10 inch woofer instead of using a 12 inch or larger helps in this regard just listening to {Lights Out} UFO "Time To Rock" CONFIRMED THAT! I have since moved this system downstairs with a much more powerful receiver that being an onkyo txds747, and moved an all seperates system w/new speakers upstairs however when I want to be injected with high spls and dynamic rock and roll concert level volume I just return to my basement with a few friends to enjoy a fine sounding mid=fi system. Really hard to beat in this price range,I paid 1000 dollars for the set of four.