JBL L112
Description: 3 way bookshelf 12" woofer

Submitted by Randy McCall a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2016

Bottom Line:
I recall the late 80's going to all the high end audio shops in Toronto with my favorite vinyl under arm auditioning speakers to buy. Nothing under $2000 came close to the JBL's for my ears.I still have them. I replaced the foam woofer surrounds and even the capacitors recently. I have them paired with a bulldozer 200 WPC cont. 800WPC peak Perreaux amp that turns these into a concert hall experience. They are simply an excellant bass reflex speaker that plays loud well and can pump out the bottom end as well as high end detail and stereo imaging. JBL have made better speakers with better tweeter/midrange perhaps, however these are hard to come by, expensive and too large for my home. When it comes to speakers, the L 112's were my first love and will do just fine for me. They are like an old friend and one of my few favorite possessions.

Submitted by Jesse a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2016

Bottom Line:
I bought my JBL L112s when I lived in Japan (1986-1990) and the base had their annual Cherry Blossom Sale (Camp Zama). I had my eye on the JBLs for some time but when they went on sale I grabbed them. They followed me from Japan to Seattle to Germany to DC to Italy and back to the USA. At one point I gave them to my son and just forgot about them but one day we were talking and I mentioned that I miss the old JBLs and he said he still had them. Totally surprised I got them back and rebuilt the crossovers and put in new tweeters (got off eBay), redid the surrounds and they now sound totally amazing!!! I've run a number of amps/receivers through them over the years but right now running an OUTLAW RR2150/iMac through them and they just light up the house. The sound is just like the day I purchased them. Glad I got them back and they look and sound great. I have some B&Ws 602 S3 that I enjoy but when I want to rock I have to go back to the JBLs. They were and are still awesome! Truly an audio Legend in the speaker world.

Submitted by DanoRoo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2015

Bottom Line:
I have owned several pairs of JBL loudspeakers over the years. Athena 99s, L86s, L-100s and the L-112s, which I bought new in 1982. They all sounded pretty good, but the L-112s stand out among them. Very balanced and built like a tank. They will reproduce any type of music faithfully, but if you like to ROCK, I can think of no other vintage bookshelf speaker that does it better. L-112s are efficient and will play at decent volume levels with even a modest tube amp of say, 20 watts. Pair these loudspeakers with a robust solid state amp of 120 to 200 watts and they will put you front and center at the concert venue! I sold mine about 4 or 5 years ago. Sure, the audio industry has made strides in fidelity since those days, but the JBL L-112 was ahead of it's time. I am nostalgic. I miss mine.

Submitted by joebair a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2014

Bottom Line:
JBL-L112 are awesome! I had my pair since the 80's and
had the woofers re-coned. They are fantastic! I've had offers
to sell, but can't give them up. I think I paid around $800.
back then and could probably get triple that now, but won't
give them up.

Submitted by Dennis impallomeni a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2013

Bottom Line:
I bought my JBL L-112 Speakers 1982 at bitburg airbase and I am still listening and enjoying
Them that year they won best speaker of the year award by stereo review mag. And the rest of world was amazed at the quality of sound they put out the display showed them cut in half the cabinet and all speakers and showing you the technology of these speakers they can handle
300 watts of continuos clean power I had also saw them at a fancy dance club in NY and I could not believe how they sounded there they have theses 300watt per channel amps and
They were in incredible now I got surround sound Yamaha aventage a pair of L112 a pair of
J 216 from 1983 pair of J 2060 1992 center LC1 all JBL plus a JBL ES240P .
I am now at full theater THX performance and night club sound !