JBL HP88F

Submitted by KennyD a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair if the pair of used JBL HP887 a little over one year from CL ($245). They pleased me immediately I hooked those up with my Denon AVR-3802. I am not sure what makes what sound good, but all I know is that it sound really neutral and balance when Denon mates with JBL. I have another JBL LX55 and it also sounds as good with little less bass. My Klipsch RF35's are more expensive but I keep staying in my work room for the JBL's

Strengths:
- Midrange: clear, very neutral
- High: not hash as all compared to other titanium tweeters. it can play really loud
- very solid build (look and feel are good too)
- Bass is not muddy at all, very solid and tight bass (that's what I like about 8 inche woofers)
- Tweeters are protected by non-removable metal grill (I love this)

Weaknesses:
- Too heavy for the size (I never thought they weigh that much for the size 56 lbs/ea)
- 2 of 8 inche woofers per cabinet are still not produce bass I expect

Submitted by Jap a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
This is a very nice pair of speakers it's a 4 driver 3 way speaker.two eight inch woofers, one five inch midrange,and one inch titantium tweeter. the speaker weighs in @ 55-lbs each,34 inches in height.it has two 3 inch ports in the rear of each speaker. I was a review on this speaker sorry to say don't remember the publication, but the publication was from Europe.I really like the midrange on this speaker,it stands out with much clearity, this speaker has sufficent bass enough for me.I've always been a fan of a 3 way speaker compared to a 2 way a 3 way just have better seperation. I'm pushing my speakers with the Harman Kardon 3480 stereo receiver 120 watts per channel high current, a great combination for the two they really fit each other like a hand in a glove.other speakers that I've owned are Klipsch fort'e,Bose 901's series 6, 601's series 3 and other speakers worth not mentioning. The (JBL HP 88 F) were manufactured in 1996 there was a limited amount produce for the U.S. of only 1700 to selected high end stores each pair came with it's on serial # .come across a pair please purchase them ? The pair I purchase came in woodgrain black ash. they really sound sweet.These speakers sold for 1,000,00 a pair.

Purchased At:   from a client

Submitted by Sam a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
Truly an amazing speaker, very accurate and well built. they lack a little in the low frequency but that was totally expected as I was not looking for that frequency responce from the main speakers when they were purchased. Extremely accurate in the high frequency and very bright, a perfect compliment to my Sunfire MKII and my JBL S Center and HP6B rears. My hats off to JBL as usual.

Submitted by Lander a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
These speakers are quite simply awesome--the best I've ever owned. They are professional quality; the best purchase I've ever made.

Purchased At:   mail order

Submitted by Andrew a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
excellent speakers. the highs are perfect, perhaps a little too high, but nothing you cant adjust with your amp/EQ. the bass is incredible, loud, powerful, clear and precise. you would think they were powered. overall an excellent speaker for your money, i would highly recommend them. others are saying they are good for the $800 range, i got mine (barely) used for $350 and i couldnt have been happier.