JBL HLS 410
Description: HLS series surround sound

Submitted by Paul a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
Very good set of surround speakers I wanted to have a speaker that produced the highs that many surrounds do not reproduce well. Tweater is very good! Ported in the back and not too big for surrounds!

Great Dolby Digital and DTS reproduction very clean sound.

Very good value for the money

Submitted by Erich Loepke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought these as an extra pair of speakers to use with a second system. I was pleasantly surprised when I hooked them up and listened. The bass made me think I was listening to something larger than the HLS-410. Granted, you won't shake the walls with 4" speakers, but the sound was nonetheless satisfying.

The only shortcoming I can find (and it's really minor) is the midrange seems a bit weak compared to my Klipsch kg4's and Large Advents. This also makes the high end seem brighter. It's not a fair comparison, considering the small size of the JBLs, however, it does cause vocals to sound a bit tubby compared to these larger systems. Even so, I found listening to old-time radio shows on the JBLs a pleasure.

The speakers will play well even at high volume, something I was surprised to find. This has really changed my view of small speakers for the better.

For the money, these are hard to beat!

Components used:

McIntosh C27 preamp
McIntosh MC2100 power amp
Thorens TD 318 Mk II turntable w/ Grado Prestige Gold cartridge
Panasonic LX-900 laserdisc/CD player

Submitted by Legairre Radden a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 6, 1999

Bottom Line:
These are great little speakers. They are just the right size for hanging, are ported in the rear and match my JBL HLS820 fronts, HLSCenter perfectly. Before I purchased these I had an Advent B2R system and only planned on replacing the fronts and center with HLS820s and an HLSCenter channel. Once I got started there was no turning back. My Advents didn't provide a seamless blend with front to back pans, it seamed like there was a gap between the fronts and rears. If you have HLS speakers already these guys are perfect. I originally planned on replacing the surrounds with HLS610s, but those suckers are way too large to hang (real big eye sore in my family room). You can get them cheap at consumer-direct.com for $104.oo + shipping.

Submitted by Jeff a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 1999

Bottom Line:
A neat little speaker. Using one of these as a center works great in a small system. You'd be hard-pressed to find a center speaker as accurate (and as inconspicuous) for the same price. The range (75hz -20khz) is also better than centers costing a lot more.

Submitted by Brian Bohnenkamp a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 1999

Bottom Line:
These are excellent in a small dolbby digital setup as surround speakers. They are too small to be mains. Very cool sounding highs because of the horn tweeter.