JBL G500

Submitted by Brownsnake a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2010

Bottom Line:
I came across my JBL G500 through someone in need of quick cash $60 USD to be exact.As soon as i got home i hooked them up to my Yamaha RX 485. Using monster cables and wires i got the details i was looking for.With 2 8inch woofers and a 5inch mid and 1inch tweeter what i heard was a full range punchy bass with clear highs.Also to add more high frequencies i added 2 Klipsch super tweeters (quintet) 3inch tweeters and 1 inch horns.
I am in musical heaven when i let these speakers sing. j

Submitted by Ben325e a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2004

Bottom Line:
I love these speakers, especially for the 30 bucks I paid for them!! The sound quality is good, but they fall short of stellar performance. The bass can be somewhat lacking of clarity, and with the large port on the rear placement should be well off of the wall. I just picked em up becuase there was a man asking 35 bucks for them at a yardsale, and I just couldn't pass the deal up. The spring clip terminals are kinda cheesy, but overall sound is good.

Purchased At:   yard sale!!!!

Submitted by DAN ESPERSEN a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
I PURCHASED THESE UNITS IF I REMEMBER RIGHT ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO. I HAVE NEVER BEEN DISAPPOINTED WITH JBL'S QUALITY. THE BASS HAS EXCEPTIONAL SOUND, SOMETIMES TOO MUCH. THE HIGHS ARE CRISP AND CLEAN. THE FINISH ON THE CABINETS IS EXCELLENT. FOR THE MONRY YOU CAN'T GO WRONG. I'VE LISTENED TO SIMILAR UNITS IN THIS PRICE RANGE AND THEY DON'T COMPARE. IF YOU CAN FIND A PAIR A THESE FOR SALE SOMEWHERE, PICK THEM UP. YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED.

Purchased At:   BESTBUY

Submitted by Ed H a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
These are great speakers the highs are sweet and the 2 8 inch woofers can give excellent bass response. I've used them as studio monitors for DJ gigs as well as home theatre front speakers for over 5 years still going strong. You can't go wrong with JBL.

Purchased At:   best buy

Submitted by JimF a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've used these with my audio/HT system for about 5 years, and they have served me well. I originally paid about $500-$600 for them at Best Buy. I'm upgrading much of my setup now, and am using a sub (Klipsch KSW-12) so it was time to find new speakers with sweeter highs and mids.
I'd recommend these if you can find a used pair in good shape. I really think these compare favorably to Paradigm Monitor 7's, but they don't hold a candle to the B&W or Def. Tech. in the under $1000 and under bracket. Since I paid full price, I have to take a point off for value, and 3 might be a little low for overall, but that's what I rate the Paradigms, and it reflects how much I liked the others more than the years of decent performance I've gotten from them. They will be fine in my secondary system.