JBL ARC 30
Description: Bookshelf Speakers

Submitted by honda4me a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
Hey just read some of the reviews on these jbl speakers, and just had to add my input. I bought these jbl arc 30 with what i think are 5 inch woofers. I have these hooked up to a pro audio amp, and have really turned up the volume. I will tell you that they have impressed me very much. The highs are clear and for being small woofer they are hitting harder than i would ever have expected from them. Also the fact that i have not blown them up.

Purchased At:   yard sale

Submitted by Edward a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
To me, all the JBL speakers I have had sounded like they were suffed with cotton. These tho, had the least cotton.
They sounded like the Denon receiver was set on double
Dolby. Paid 60 bucks for a pair landed from U-Bid. I believe if the rest of the people who reviewed this speaker heard the Wharfdale MFM-1, they would all lower their ratings a full point.

Submitted by William a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2000

Bottom Line:
Well... I picked these up on ubid for under $60/pair. Yeah they were refurbished but you can't tell at all they look brand spankin new. For the price no speaker can touch them. I'm currently using them for rear surrounds and i didn't really want to spend too much for them. Also i have used them as computer speakers to play mp3s. At this price range you would expect them to sound like crap with music, but they don't. The highs are very crisp. Sure they lack bass but if i don't care when i'm using them as pc speakers and when i use them in my HT i have a sub anyway. Another thing is that these speakers look great with their grill off. Sure that is prolly pointless info but they do. If you can get them for under $100 definately grab them because they work great in small rooms or as surrounds.

Submitted by Joel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
I picked up a pair of these speakers from UBid for $54 + shipping. A good deal, considering the speaker size. They sound great on surround, but I couldn't use these as main speakers. They have a severe lack of midrange. The bass is boomy, due to the porting. They distort fairly quickly as well, even with the clean power of my amp. They don't have much extended bass range either (50hz is lowest). On surround, these speakers bring the room to life. The highs are very crisp - the tweeters are excellent. The bass is somewhat surprising for these speakers, but it is peaky and boomy with the port. For the price, I can't argue with them as surround speakers. I'd be disappointed if I paid $100 or more I think.

Submitted by Jeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
These speakers sound great. They sound best reproducing guitars, vocals, most string instruments, and cymbals. They have a low frequency range that gives them a very full sound.