Infinity Systems Systems P-FR Prelude
Description: Ported design w/ 12-in sub 4 5.25-in mids, two 4-in midbass, 1-in tweeter

Submitted by augusto cerner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
de todos los parlantes que he tenido este fue el que mas me ha gustado la calidad de sonido es excelente, en musica la voz y los instrumentos suenas como si estuvieras alli te envuelve son sus 96db de spl y que mas decir de sus 16 parlantes en total hacen de este juego una gran maravilla, y tiene un estilo serio que va con todo mi home teather, con las peliculas te hara sentir toda la fuerza del sonido dinamico del dolby o del dts, los agudos son precisos las medios son claros y los bajos son limpios y fuertes, ademas tiene tres niveles potencia de bajos y solo lo uso en minimo porque en max hace tenbrar las ventanas.

para audio lo uso con un AMPLIFICADOR CONRAD-JOHNSON MF2300
y previo de la misma marca, y como home theater lo uso con un kenwood VR-5900 y el reproductor de DVD kenwood DV-5900m

Purchased At:   1996

Submitted by John Fischbach a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
great sound, ability to tune bass, good looks. These speakers have been a wonderful mirror, in my home, of recording sessions done in the studio...very helpful.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Submitted by jason britt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
well designed and enigerred subwoffer i give it two thumbs up.

Purchased At:   chunns pawn shop

Submitted by KD a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
I drive these with a Yamaha RX-V995. I use a Sony DVD-S500 for playing CD's and DVD's. They are truly the center of me Entertainment system - CC-3 center channel (anyone know where I can still find the Prelude Center to match these??). I do have sub in the system too - love deep bass during movies. They go from one soure to another and always handle it well. It doesn't take too much to drive them (i.e. you wont wake you neighbors to get them working).

The style rating with these is great too. Small lateral footprint. Very tall - look excellent next to my 60" TV. All my friends think they look "really cool". I have seen photos of the new Preludes coming out (I heard they were going to be 10K not 6k - but whatever)and I think these are sexier. I guess I still enjoy the all black look - the new ones have a wood/veneer base and a black top.

If you can get them from Ubid for around $625-675 each - jump on them. If they are out of your budget, then get the Oveture 2's. Either way you cant go wrong.

Submitted by Gary Hogman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
After listening to many speakers in this price range, including B&W and Apogee, ($2500) I picked the Preludes. I was a little leery about the powered woofer (not subwoofer). But after listening to a broke in pair, I found the sound to be powerful and full. I knew that they would need some work due to the build quality. I found an incredible deal on ubid.com for $650 ea!! I wanted Dunlavy Anethas, but they are $6000. (Damn). When I received these I wired them up and let them play at med vol for 3 days while at work to let them break in. Smoothed the sound right out. Next I took them apart. I used rubber putty and Audioquest (or use dynamat) rubber sheets to damp the enclosures. Also on the back of the mids plastic casings. On one of the mids (there are 2 4’’ in each speaker) I placed 3 very small dots of silicone rubber on the back of the driver in a triangle; this softened the coloration I was getting. In the woofer chamber I added the foam sheets to all exposed wood and sealed the speaker with silicone. I also cold-welded and silver soldered all the wire to speaker connections inside. Last I hate the cheap plastic facing and metal speaker mount enclosure. They should have used wood! So I filled the inside of the entire facing with latex foam and laid plastic sheeting over it while it dried. Last I ran a thin bead of silicone (clear) down the sides of the installed facings. One more trick to stop the covers from rattling is to take the covers off and wrap a crapload of Teflon tape around the mounting pegs and push the covers back on, no more rattling!!! This sounds like a real pain but is was worth it. The second I fired them up the difference was HUGE! The bass was tighter, the voices were warmer and the whole thing was just more solid sounding!
The bottom end 40Hz down is a little weak, which is why I have a Velodyne FSR 15 sub set at the roll off of the Infinities. The blend of sound with the 12’ woofers is perfect. If you want a set of speakers the rival any 5K set up, get these if you can. Infinity discontinued them for a new model that is 6 grand. Snap a pair up if you can, you won’t regret it.

Wadia 22 transport
Proceed DAP
Denon AVR 2800 (used as pre and home theater)
McIntosh MC162 (driving front 2)
Velodyne FSR 15 sub