Infinity Systems SM155

Submitted by Stoneeh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2012

Bottom Line:
After all these enthusiastic reviews I feel like I have something to contribute by clarifying a few things for the readers.

First, I own Infinity Kappa 90s (not Renaissance 90), and have listened to various new and old speakers over the last few years. For example Quadral (Platinum M4, Montan VIII), Nubert (Nuvero 14), Heco (Celan 301 XT and 901 XT), some of the cheaper Klipsch, JBL, et etc etc. I also tested various PA stuff.

What the SM 155 can do is reproduce direct, neutral sound up to very high volume levels. They also require a lot less power than most speakers to reach these volume levels, although I would still recommend a fully grown power amplifier with at least 100 watts RMS at 8 ohm to exploit all of their potential. The SM also have outstanding kick bass and therefore make an excellent cheap party box. (I currently consider them as tops for a PA setup because they can go very loud but don't suffer from the annoyingly shrill highs of virtually all PA tops.)

What the SM 155 can't do is match the resolution of the better HiFi speakers. For example the Kappa 90 have much more fine, detailed highs due to their ribbon tweeters (IF the right track plays and the rest of the system matches the quality of the speakers). They also can't reproduce that smooth rolling bass of a high quality HiFi speaker with similar bass membrane area. They also don't do the earth-shaking bass at frequencies of 35hz and below, because they simply won't go that low (contrary to the specifications).
The SM will also need a large room or open area to sound good. In a small room your ears will bleed, period.

Verdict: the SM 155 are very good neutral sounding allround speakers that can go very loud if you want them to. They don't match the resolution and clarity of great HiFi speakers, and they can't match the volume and raw power of PA speakers. They do however provide a good compromise between everything and don't have any real weaknesses. At the price you can get them at they are a real steal. Well-meant advice: for smaller rooms, get the SM 125 instead.

Submitted by Bryan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have owned my sm155's since 1995 when I purchased them brand new. Originally driven with a JVC rx 707 until 2009 when that Reciever finally died. They sound great, I crank em at least 100 times a year to concert sound levels. My music is typically rock or metal which they are ideal for but anything else sounds good too. Some people have to replace the surrounds around the woofer but mine are in perfect shape after all these years. also these speakers are very efficient, I have been using a Harman Kardon 503, 40 watt x 2, for the past few years and they sound loud and powerfull. On that note, If you have a pair of these, I recommend using a stereo amp or receiver with good base control and the loudness feature so probably a vintage one. Modern 5.1,7.1 receivers just don't seem to send enough bass to the speakers.

Submitted by Levi Peterson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2012

Bottom Line:
Infinity SM-155. I have a pair in "mint" condition. $500 for the pair plus free matching center. You have to pick up though and I will give demo. My email is petersonlevi88@yahoo.com. I don't wanna get rid of, but have to. I live in Tacoma, wa

Submitted by Levi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2012

Bottom Line:
OMG!!!!! Bliss! Perfection! To me, these babies are worth their weight in gold! Infinity SM-155. I am a die hard Klipsch fan, but I absolutely love my Infinity's. I just got them a few days ago. MINT!!!! I got them for $50 at a thrift store I work at. I was there when they were donated. Are people CRAZY??? Why would somebody donate perfection. I almost didn't get them, but decided to look them up online first. So glad I did. I still can't believe I got these for $50. I have a set of 300 watt Klipsch bookshelf speakers too. I have been blessed by the lord for sure. My dream speakers have been a set of Cerwin Vega's, but I like these better! petersonlevi88@yahoo.com

Submitted by Joe Puffenbarger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2010

Bottom Line:
These are the best speakers I've ever heard and owned. I really don't want to part with them but my wife is making me. I got my pair from the Curtchfield store locally here in Harrisonburg, VA. They retailed for $1200 back in 1998, I got an 'open box buy' at the Crutchfield store and they sold them to me for a discount. To me the speakers are still worth $500 but I'll part with them for $300 to who ever is interested.
Infinity SM155 pair