Infinity Systems SM115
Description: 3 way floor standing loudspeakers

Submitted by gvr4ever a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2006

Bottom Line:
I choose the Infinity SM series speakers over Polk Audio and klipsch for both sound quality and loudness. I acually got the SM speakers for a 5.1 system, so I'm using the SM video for the center channel and smaller SMs for the rear. 85s I think.

To this day, I havn't really heard anything better that doesn't cost near a grand or more. I heard a pair of Definitive's that acually did sound better, but cost so much, the improvment wasn't nearly enough to want to buy new speakers. I'm the audio blacksheep freak in the family and I don't know too many people who are really in to audio stuff, but to this day, I've never heard a better setup any anyone else's home. I do have a huge Velodyne to back up any weekness in bass, so I don't notice it.

Purchased At:   Pro Audio

Submitted by Colin Mertes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got this pair for $300 back in '97 right after they went on clearance. Big and heavy, I liked them right away. But I did notice the bass was not balancing out with the hot treble. The tweet is adjustable, and I have it cranked all the way down with the tone settings on my receiver bypassed. I also run a powered sub, so the bass actually works out great because the mains don't try to compete with the sub. I have them sitting on carpet. The bases are set back about 2" from the front because of the way the cabinet is built, so the weight of the drivers tend to make it lean forward a bit. I stuck a couple of wood shims under the front feet to level them off. I have a really good center from Yamaha, and it will never quite match the tone if the Infinitys, but for stereo, I like them. For home theater, I can tweak it enough to make it work. My system B speakers are SuperZeros, so if I want to listen to 3-way towers or 2 way MiniMonitors, I got it made! The 115's make good stands for the Zeros.

Purchased At:   Discount Store

Submitted by Matt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I too got these speakers for a steal off of ubid for $200 shipped. Three of my friends and myself picked them up because they were going for such a rediculously low price. Out of the box, these speakers had impressive vocals and midrange frequencies, but the bass was lacking. I thought I would wait for them to break in and see what happened, but alas the bass has never appeared. Its not that I miss it that much, but I just expected more from a 10" bass driver. When I read of and hear other speakers with smaller bass drivers that produce lower frequencies, I cringe a little at what I'm missing. It seems to me that the SM 125 has similar problems, since my friend picked up a pair from ubid. If I had paid more than $400 for these speakers, I would feel like I got ripped off. At $200 for the pair delivered, I have been pleased with their performance, with clear mids and highs plus a decent soundstage, but I will start looking for their replacements this summer. By the way, my 115's are powered by a NAD C340 mated to the NAD 515 cd player.

Submitted by Travis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 1999

Bottom Line:

Bought these speakers when i turned 16 and enjoyed them for many years. The only reason I got rid of them is I heard a pair of B&W Dm601s2 and liked the imaging and sweet mids and highs from that speaker. I must admit that the Infinitys kick my B&W's butt for movies though. The Infinity's can play loud with little amplifier power. This is by far the speakers greatest ability. Overall value is a 5, you can not get anything better in its price range. For the performance I have to give it a 4. Highly recommended for your first system.

Submitted by Ben a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 22, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of brand-new Infinity SM-115 in June 99 from U-bid for only $200 delivered. What a steal of the century! I have them connected to my HK-AVR10 receiver. These speakers create excellent sound for classicals and easy-listening music. Great mids and highs, although bass response is not the best. 5 stars for the outstanding value and overall sound quality.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener