Infinity Systems SM105
Description: Ported 10in woofer, 1in tweeter

Submitted by F K a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
Paid 249.00 for the pair at the AF Base BX...I'll be the first to admit you get what you pay for but with these speakers it would be extremely hard to do better for the price. I've owned Bose, Ar's, and a couple of other brands and would have to say out of all of them the SM's really cranked the best...currently using them in my home theater as my front R/L speakers (have a pair of smaller SM's for the surrounds)...superb sensitivity keeps my receiver from melting down during action movies...should also note that I have never had an Infinity product quit on me although I put them through hell almost daily

Purchased At:   AFEES

Submitted by Steve a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1999

Bottom Line:
Tested these speakers out at an audio dealer. Tested them with a Bryan Adams CD going through a Carver receiver. At first they sounded great, but when real power was put through them (50 watts peak, 25 watts continuous), the woofer made a loud "CRACK". This turned me against these speakers and instead I bought a pair of JBL J2080s. The Infinitys are cosmetically great, but soundwise, I didn't like the harshness of the sound that was produced by them. It may have had something to do with how efficient this line of speakers is. In my opinion, the JBLs that I bought are far superior to the Infinitys, although the Infinitys would be great for a low powered system.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Doctor a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
These speakers are a shambles. Expecting good sound from them, I hooked them up to a Denon integrated amplifier, and played some music through them. I quickly discovered the difference between crap speakers, and good speakers.
Compared to B&W P4's, which were originally on the Denon amp, these speakers are horribly bad. They have NO bass response, PA type midrange (ie loud and grating), and the treble is clear but completely unrealistic.

Obviously it is not fair to compare these speakers to such expensive other speakers, but it just goes to show that you get what you pay for. I highly recommend to anyone who is thinking about buying mid fi speakers like this to look at some better gear. These speakers would be fine if you didn't know any better, but they just pale into insignificance compared to a decent pair of 'good' speakers.

They are reputed to be loud. Yes that's true. They can hurt your ears. But the sad thing is that the bass doesn't play loud. It is only the screeching midrange and bright treble which put out high SPL. The bass was the laughing stock of my friends for a while. Off the Denon amp, it is very boomy and completely absent as far as low (<65Hz) goes. Then you try to get volume out of the 10" woofer, and the damn thing distorts like crazy. What a mess.

Also the pair that I was trying out were second hand and it's worth noting that the woofer's plastic edge, which surrounds it and bonds it to the box, had expanded for some reason, and now was letting air out. So pop up some bass and you could hear the air escaping like some sort of mad prisoner. So there goes the build quality...

In their defense, though, they sounded much better through some older, and less expensive gear. Through my 20 year old JVC amplifier, these speakers were actually rather good and seemed to put out resonable bass and clear midrange and treble. So a tip: Don't match these speakers up with unforgiving electronics as they don't like it very much.

IN CONCLUSION, these speakers' performance can be equaled by much smaller and better built speakers like B&W's etc costing about the same. Do not think that the 10" woofer means good bass, as it doesn't. The P4's have a 6.5" woofer and absolutely blow so many speakers away in bass response and quality just because of the build and design quality. These SM105's were just one of the victims of this assault.

Fine for casual listeners but really have NO redeeming features!

Submitted by FRED MIRANDA a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
I'M MOVING AND IF SOMEONE IS INTERESTED IN BUYING THE SM 105,SM85 AND SM CENTER CHANNEL PLEASE E-MAIL ME. ALL FOR 700$!!!

Submitted by Robert Slusser a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 1998

Bottom Line:
About 2 months ago I purchased the infinity sm105 from crutchfield for $199.00a pair and have been impressed with them ever since I got them. They perform well with my 50x2 kenwood receiver. Their soundstaging is incredibly big for the speakers size. If someone knows of a better speaker for the price, be sure to tell me personnally on my e-mail address.