Infinity Systems Omega
Description: 3-way floorstanding speaker. 12" bass driver. 6-1/2" & EMIM midrange driver. EMIT & EMIT-R high freaquency driver.

Submitted by beertje a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
Hi all,

After reading the comment of other people regarding the Omega, I would like to write my story about this great music translator. Ofcourse my opinion is coloured, as anyones opinion is.
I bought my pair (in the wood finish) directly from Harman, since I was an employee of the comany at that time. I won't mention the price here because it was really low.
Ok, let set them up. Euhhh not that simple. I really needed a collegue to get them upstairs. These babies are heavy!!! after all the work was done, the result was poor, really poor. My previous speakers (overture 1, also from Infinity) sounded much better on my equipment. At athat time, my set consisted of : HK870 power amp, a PM655 integrated used as a preamp, HD760 cd player with Musical Fidelty X10D and a Thorens TD316 record player with a Shure HE cartridge. After a bit of experimenting, I found out that the manuals claim that this preakers are really equipment-sensitive, is true in every sence.
First You need af really beefed-up poweramp. If you can't afford one, forget this speakers!
Second the rest of your set must be up to the task. This means: as less colouration of the sound as possible. If you hear weak bass, Don't blame it on the speakers, there is something going wrong in the source. If the sound is sharp, the same counts.
I've had a lot of amps last year. By accident, I was able to get my hands on a Studer A68 studio amp. That piece of monumentary engineering was just the right thing for the Omega's. Everything felt in place. The Bass is well controlled and strong, the midrange is breathtaking, and the treble is sweet as sweet can be. I partnered it with a Harman Signature 1.0 (interlink is a Madrigal CZ-GEL balanced cable) and a Rega planar3 with van den Hul D502 and a Benz Cartridge.
I guess this is top end. Everything sounds really if You were there. The stage is very wide and deep, you can virtually touch the musicians.

Conclusion:
This is a breathtaking loudspeaker with one big disadvantage: It will only give it's best when partnered with musical sounding amps which can deliver a huge amount of juice. Also : you really need time to find the right place for this monsters. A few inches can make a world of difference.

Submitted by spacebass a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
Now I totally lost it :)

I bought a second pair as rears for my Home Theatre (replaced the kappa 100's)

I know use a Parasound HCA-2200 MK2 to power the fronts, and for me this is a perfect match!

The fronts are performing better than ever, so I have to rate it 5 stars know!

Submitted by Jeetinder RAmlal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
Correction to my prev Review:
Watkins woofer isn't 15" but 12"
Correction to Specifications mentioned by Audioreview:
it is not a 3 way but a 4 way system.
Drivers :
1 EMIT Tweeter at the front
1 EMIT-R Tweeter at the back
1 EMIM Midrange
1 165 mm Midbass
1 305 mm Watkins Woofer
Recommended Power 100-500 RMS per channel
Freq Resp: 30-42 Khz (+/- 2 db)
CrossOver Freq: 180 Hz,900 Hz,4000 Hz
Dim: 1216 * 390 * 356 mm
Weight : 55 kg
Sensitivity : 85 Db @ 2.83V/1m

Submitted by Jeannot a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
After auditioning several speakers as KEF Reference one and three. I found this speaker very easy to listen to. You hear everything but never to much or booming or harsh. When the sound is harsh in your ears try different amp and/or cd player and take the time to let speakers (especialy the midrange) get their sound. This takes at least a month! In Holland they are for sale for USD 2600,- a pair, a real bargain!

Submitted by Jeetinder Ramlal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
If you have a understanding wife ( they are hugh and black!)
,enough room a very powerfull power amp that does know how to control the 15" woofers...
Listen and be prepared to dislike some of your favorite CD's cause they are very honest!