Infinity Systems CC-3
Description: Center channel speaker

Submitted by evac311 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
I purchased this unit in 1999 to match my infinity rs-5 front speakers. At the time that I bought it, I was using an onkyo tx-ds575 receiver. The first thing I noticed was that it didn't seem to match the sound of my fronts. I figured it just needed to be broken in. So I cranked it up really loud. I was surprized how well it handled loud volumes. The sound didn't get splashy or overly bright until the receiver itself began to clip. Very impressive. After a few days the center seemed to be matching the fronts better, and I got some DVDs together to test it's performance with dialog. This being my first expiriance with dolby digital and DVD, I didn't quite know what to expect. The first movie I watched was the Matrix. The orchestal transitions were really smooth which says good things about the flatness of the frequency response. Vocals are thick, agressive and forward-projecting, never muddy. Same with gun shots and other sound effects, they seem very present. This speaker isn't going to instantly blow you away with sparkling trebel, it's going to earn your apreciation over the years by doing what a center channel is supposed to do.

Purchased At:   bestpriceaudiovideo.

Submitted by Uncle Albert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
Why is this in the Main Speaker category?
Anyway....

I've owned this speaker for nearly 4 years, and I've never had the desire to replace it. It functions exactly as it's supposed to: clear and natural sounding dialog and on-screen effects. To be honest, I've never perceived much of an effect from adjusting the voice-matching controls, but I still fiddle with them sometimes. I also like the rounded design that allows you to angle them to the listening position. The only possible reason I would ever upgrade is to match my Entra and Interlude -series towers and gain larger drivers for wider speaker response. Near the bottom of my list of upgrades, though.

Purchased At:   NE Furniture Mart

Submitted by Churchy Park a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have been using this speaker for almost six months, and I love this speaker. This speaker is much more powerful than my old Acoustic Research C225PS. I use this speaker with Yamaha HTR-5150 receiver, and it deliver powerful and very clear sound at level 12 o'clock position and above. I use speaker for my DVD, VHS movies, PC games and CD player. I have no complain for my usage, and the watching saving private ryan, the Matrix, and Gettysburg is wonderful. It's also sound fantastic with my CD player. Vocals are clear and it produce nice bass. This speaker really show why people say it is very important to have a good center speaker for home theater system. If anyone still could get this spaeker and price is at 149, get it.

My system
Sony Trintrion 32inch TV
Yamaha HTR-5150
Infinity CC-3 (Center)
Pair of Sony SS-MF515 (Front A)
Pair of Acoustic Research AR-318PS (Front B)
Pair of old argon speaker (rear and soon to be replace)
AudioSource SW-15 (Subwoofer)
Creative Encore PC-DVD player
Onkyo DX-C730 CD player
JVC VHS

Purchased At:   Circuit city

Submitted by Paul R a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
At the time I purchased the CC-3 I worked in an upscale audio store. I had the choice of many brands. I chose the CC-3 because of the clarity of sound and the ability to play loudly without a hint of distortion. At this time I am pleased with my system but if I decide to sell components the CC-3 stays.

Submitted by Daniel a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
***The Great***

Overall, this IMO, is one of the better center speakers out there for two reasons. First, it is a very compact unit. Although it has two 5 1/4 woofers and a 1" silk dome tweeter it doesn't waste a lot of cabinet space and still delivers 80Hz-20KHz with ease. Moreover, this thing plays loud...maybe a little too loud. Although the manual states a 91 db /w/m sensitivity, I found, using a sound level meter, that it is much more like 97 db! (In other words, most of the time you'll have to turn it down relative to the main speakers).

The second thing about this unit that is great is that it has two tone controls for you to "tweek" the sound of the center channel to match that of the other speakers in your system. This is especially good for non-infinity speaker matching, but it even helps with similar model infinity speakers as well, since placement of a center channel (whether on top or below a tv) can also change the apparent sound of it with respect to the main speakers.

***The Not-So-Great***

The only problem that I have with this unit is that it rests on top of a V-shaped stand so that a person can point the speaker up or down depending on the distance and angle of the listening area. But, this thing is touchy! Tilt it too steep either way in its stand and it will fall out if gently nudged. (However, the manual makes sure to inform the reader about ways to avoid tipping the unit) :)

Although this unit is no longer in production, people are still searching for the CC-3 left and right and are even paying more for a used one on ebay than what some places use to sell them for new. Why? Because the new infinity center channels sound similar but are downright enormous and harder to position as well as the CC-3! If you can find one, for $300 and under, it really is worth it.

Purchased At:   Circuit City