Harman Kardon HKTS1
Description: Subwoofer/sattelite system

Submitted by Jeremy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have thoroughly put these speakers to the test in my HT enviroment. I recently bought a DVD player, and a dolby digital satellite reciever, and the HTKS1's have not disappointed. I also watched the Directv Bela Fleck freeview concert and it was excellent sonically and musically. These speakers are/were the BEST for the money and I am really considering moving up to the HKTS5's as my next set of surround/sub purchases. I purchased the HKTS5 sub and TSFS1 stands and these improved the set immensely for $90 shipped. I also got a set of omnipoint surround mounds for the rear and BIG difference in imaging now. My system is as follows:

Sanyo 32" TV - nothing fancy, just S Vid input and clear pic
Denon AVR-1801 - 70W RMS x 5 supports DD5.1 and DTS decoding
Sanyo VCR (not used anymore for anything but kids videos)
Apex AD-5131 3-disc DVD changer (supports MP3 and JPG files)
Radio Shack 5 in 1 backlit remote $20.00 supports Apex DVD
Hughes Tivo & Dolby Digital digital recording DTV reciever

I have less than $1500 total invested in this system by purchasing at the right time and using the internet.
IT ROCKS !!! Especially with TIVO recording DD or a DTS disc
such as Jurassic Park or Twister. My kids and wife fear it!

Purchased At:   ubid.com

Submitted by Damian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
The HKTS1 is an extremely good all-in-one home theater speaker package for the price. The 8" subwoofer is excellent, producing fairly articulated and clean bass. The satellites work well for the mid-range and highs. I would bet that this is a package unmatched by any other product in this category for the price.

However, the looks of the HKTS1 are unsatisfying considering they come from Harman/kardon. The black speaker wire is horrible, as is the lack of a distinct center channel (which has been corrected in the HKTS2 and the other Harman/kardon theater package). The speakers are very crisp and clear but cannot handle anything much louder than 40-45 watts of continuous power, after which they begin to distort.

Overall, the HKTS1 has proved to be extremely satisfying and well worth the cost. The subwoofer is really sweet and will surprise you for being only 8".

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Tee a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
I just moved into a new house and home theater was project #1. Since my living room is not all that big, I knew that larger loud speakers would be too obtrusive for my space.
So I bought these speakers based on the Harmon Kardon name as well as for their small size.

I could not be more happy with the sound that these speakers produce. The sound is very clean and crip producing all the high's and low's from a 5.1 digital source. The subwoofer is also very nice. That thing feels like it could bring my house down!

I also purchased the black stands (FSTS1) for the front and surrond speakers. They are very simple, elegant stands consisting of about an 8" round base with a 1/4" rod that supports each speaker. The 4 stands cost me about $80.

Since the center speaker is same as the surrounds, I called HK and ordered the center speaker from the HKTS2. It basically looks like the other speakers except that its wider (cost was $40). It looks a lot better sitting on top of my 36" Sony WEGA as opposed to the one that came with the system.

In conclusion, this is a good little package if you have a budget or need to save space. I tried Star Wars Episode I the other night....and the pod race scene was just incredible!

My system:
36" Sony WEGA (KV-36FS12)
Sony SAT-A50 DSS
Harmon Kardon AVR 110
Harmon Kardon HKTS1 Speakers
Panasonic RV-31k DVD Player
Acoustic Research Pro Series Interconnects

Purchased At:   uBid

Submitted by Geoff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
Bought these to pair with a Harmon Kardon AVR100 for the bedroom. Had to move out some larger (?) Boston bookshelves with which I was very happy, but - marriage has it's costs. Was able to convince that smaller speakers wouldn't interrupt the decor - and these fit the bill (be careful not to set them atop a wood finish, they for some reason left a mark with the provided rubber scratch-resistors).

Nevertheless - these are good for the size and cost. Wasn't expecting too much, but I could conceivably see someone using these for their living room's main stereo/movie system. The satellites are small, and the sub provides sound much larger than it's size.

Purchased At:   Ubid

Submitted by Tim a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for some good satellite speakers and a sub, go with these. They will do the job. Unless you're planning to crank the volume up for a block party, these speakers can handle the wattage. No complaints in sound quality and power. Plus you cant' beat the price. It almost sounds like a $1500 Bose system. Just make sure you have a descent Receiver to pass out quality frequencies.

Purchased At:   Ubid.com