Gradient Evidence

Submitted by audiophile1969 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2015

Bottom Line:
I bought this speakers from a friend, He is a collector and He got this pair a a trade for other set of speakers, I went to visit him, and he was playing music, and I was so impressed, I did ask him right away how much He wanted for the speakers, so we close a deal, He just did not wanted the speakers since He owns too many sets of many brands, He had them connected to a Mark Levinson amp, and Oh! Wow!, impressive sound stage, very vivid and realistic voices, I could hear every single instrument and position, although the speakers are not very big, they deliver great power, I did reinforce the bass with a subwoofer from System Audio Subelectro, and my living room is complete, for many years I have had many speakers and many amps, from Accuphase, Bryston, Conrad Johnson, Haflers, etc. etc., and speakers from Mcintosh, B&W, Kef, System Audio, JBL L112, end more I have to admit the Gradient Evidence MKII, have that magic that makes You admire them, I played Steely Dan on my turntable, and incredible sound coming from the speakers. if You have a chance do not let the opportunity pass by, I will keep them for good, as well my JBL L112.
Equipment used:
Technics SL150MKII with magnetically suspended tonearm and Moving coil cartridge
Accuphase C200 preamp
Accuphase P300 amp,
Wadia cd player, and Toshiba SD9200 DVD-Audio player
Gradient Evidence MKII speakers

Submitted by HiFiholic a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2011

Bottom Line:
Bought these demo units for about a grand which is about 40% of new. It sounded great at the store, but when I got it home, it didn't sound right with my Yamaha RX-V657 receiver. The highs were too harsh and the lows were, well not quite low enough.

So after consulting with the store, I moved things around in my listening room and added a couple of pieces to my system. I swapped the left and right speakers so that the woofers face each other as opposed to the wall. Instantly, it gave me deeper base, but the harshness was still there. I then bought a Grand Fedility DAC09 tube DAC($250). The highs became less harsh. Finally, I broke down and bought a used Bryston 3B ($900) and kept the Yamaha as a pre-amp. Wow, I couldn't believe my ears. The lows are deep and solid, but not boomy. The mids and highs are sweet and mellow. You can hear every faint breath in female vocals. If you sit close enough (5feet) to the speakers, you can hear the violin bow dragging across the strings. Cymbal are light and drums are quick and solid as if someone fire a cannon at your chest. Being a pianist, I probably appreciate the warm overtone of the low piano notes and the hint of tinkling in the high notes more than anything else.

The best feature about these speakers is the jumpers that allowyou to set different cross over frequencies, giving emphasis to treble, mid range or base. The effect is like have 3 sets of speakers with different characteristics.

The other nice feature is that once I positioned the speakers so that the woofers face each other, placement of the speakers in the room don't seem to make a great deal of difference. This opens up all kinds of flexibilities in furniture placement, which keeps the wife happy to no end.

Bottom line, these are very transparent speakers. They will reveal every wart in your system. On the other hand, they will also showcase the good features.

The only down side is the woofers are completely exposed on the one side, making it prone to accidental damage. I circumvented this issue by covering that side with a thin piece of plywood when the speaker are not in use.

My equipment:
Bryston 3B amp
Yamaha RX-V657 receiver (used as a pre-amp)
Grand Fedility DAC 09 tube DAC
Denon DVD 2930ci
Gradient Evidence speakers
Ultimate Cable C4 bi-wire
Synergistics Research Mark V inter connects

Other speakers used: Tannoy Eyris, Paradigm Studio v20, infinities, Klispch Heresy II

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Heikki Maki a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
I thougt first to repalace my old stereo with a 5-channel home-cinema. I ended up buing two Gradient Evidences and a 2-channel Primare amplifier. What surprices me is that the sound of Gradients is clear and exellent everywhere in the room. I like old heavy rock and my wife likes classical music. Gradient fits everything, it doesn't exaggerate basses or any other frequencies. Even I have begun to like Mozart now, the violins sound great. Moreover the sound of DVDs (movies) is to my mind much better than from 5-speaker system of the same price.

Purchased At:   Kruunuradio, Helsink

Submitted by Michael a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
I´ve tried several speakers (thiels etc)no one sounden any good. Poor bass or uneven bass. I learned that my room was the problem so I started searching for speakers that took the room into the design. I ended up with the Evidence. To my ears they close to perfect. I now got bass down to 28Hz almost in the hole room and they are so neutral. You starts listening to the music and hears that every recording is different. In my mind, thats becaurse they add nothing. Love them.
Melos SHA Gold
Sony XA5
Counterpoint Solid 1
Harmonic tech cables

Submitted by Thelonius Monster a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 1999

Bottom Line:

My System:
Aragon 4004 MK2