Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Minor

Submitted by DUL CHIN a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
This product was probably the first sphere speakers that Gallo produced.

After listening to it for almost over 6 months, I decided to purchase the speakers. It is one of the best speakers I've heard for vocals. The bass is not too bad, provided the recording on the CD is decent.

I've also come to realise that these pair of speakers work especially well with tube amplifiers. The sound it produce thru valve amps are warmer, more transparent and greater soundstaging.

Gallo should start reproducing these speakers again as it is truly one of a kind. When design and technology compliments each other, you really couldn't ask for more.

Submitted by Gabe Zashin a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 13, 1999

Bottom Line:
I believe these are discontinued but they used to sell for about $1000 ($1200 including stands). I bought a used pair for a bedroom system that included stands for about half that price. Here's what I think:first of all, aesthetically, these speakers have to be one of the all time coolest designs. If you are not familiar with it they are spherical balls mounted on curvy stands. Search the web for pictures. I think they look better than the Nucleus Solos because they don't have the tweeter sticking out the top (they have a concentric 2way design) - the top mounted tweeters probably sound better, but I am talking aesthetics here, and lets face it, speakers are in part furniture. On the stnads they are one of the most interesting, eye catching and unique loudspeaker designs ever.
Now, soundwise. They are very bright. Initially I tried them with a solid state amp and it was almost annoying. I paired them with a little Jolida tube amp and it is noticably more relaxed at the high end. Still a bit bright, but much better. Also I guess your ear gets used to the sound somewhat after a while. As in the other Gallo models, imaging is great. Also, I find the bass response very satisfying, esp. since I listen mostly to rock/pop which might not go quite as low as classical. Bass guitar is surprisingly tight and punchy. Noticably better than similar size box shaped speakers. Overall the sound is decent but they need to be paired with a fairly mellow system I think. One note is that somone at Gallo told me they shouldn't be driven too hard, apparently the tweeters have been known to blow. Not a problem for me in the bedroom system fortunately. I would assume there might be some grounds for modifying the tweeter, rolling it off a bit or replacing the whole concentric driver unit with a better one (if any other compatible models exist.

Highest rating for looks, 3-4 for sound