Gallo Acoustics Micro
Description: sub/sat system

Submitted by scpetscott a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
I agree much more with the "maggie" owner below then the reviewer than hamster. I have had quads, maggies 1.6, spica, soliloquy just to rattle off a few. These are some of my favorites speakers I've owned. The do need proper set up and the better the source and amp the better the sound. I used the micros as surrounds and the A'divas for fronts. As with any speaker, set up and what you use as source and amplification makes a big difference. I started out with the Adivas and mps 150 sub.. using a Plinius intergrated and the sound was much better then I had anticipated. These things image better then any speaker I've owned. They are coherent like the maggies and quads... the single speaker .. no crossover helps I am sure. There is nothing unlocalized about the image if set up properly. Soundstaging and imagining are top rate, better then any of the speakrs I have had actually. The only things I think these could do better for the money is the top end could be a tad more extended... but these sound amazingly life like and musical on acoustic guitar.... the sub is great.. love how you can seperate the amp... and woofer. I have the amp in my rack... But, it isn't quite as amazing as the HSU sub I have had before.. but, because I am in a much smaller place at the moment, I prefer the size and placement options of the mps.
Oh, and i do agree that customer service could be better. Maybe they have had too many unkowledgeble people run these full range instead of using bass management to roll of lows at proper frequency thus blowing the dirvers in the speakers.

Purchased At:   good guys

Submitted by speterson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2006

Purchased At:   good guys

Submitted by chinoloco a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2005

Bottom Line:
I purchased the "Home Theater in the Round" system. It comes with a powered 100W sub and 5 micros. Usually the orbs cost like $250.00 each and by the time you get a sub, you are into the system for about 2K. For 1K, it beats pretty much everything out there. I didn't get stands for mine system. They sit on the box on the floor. Its tacky but it works for me. I care about the sound more then the cosmetic appeal. I just don't have the space for a huge system in the bedroom. I will get the stands soon, but they are not cheap.

Purchased At:   Visionary Home Audio

Submitted by hamstur a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
Needed surrounds and was too cheap to buy Sonus Faber Concertino Home/Wall. Saw a lot of good reviews. Had SF Concerto Homes for ~2 yrs now. Tested the Micros as front LR. Not refined. Vocals very nasal/congested sounding. Soundstage is great--spherical design seems to radiate sound in all directions, but imaging suffers because of this. Sound envelopes you, but is too unlocalized. These would be awesome ceiling mounts in the bedroom, but not as fronts. 2-ch stereo verdict: 4 out of 10.

Saw the wall mounts for these, didn't like them. Get Bose mounts instead and buy 1.5 inch #12 screws to attach the spheres. Looks better and you can aim them. Considering their nonlocalizing quality, these make surprisingly good surrounds. Sensitivity is low so add a few dB to the rear and they're not bad at all. Since they're designed not to stand out audibly, they blend even more seamlessly into the system. Timber matching is off, but I'm not "complaining," just "noting." They still won't ever get big sound. Once I decide to not be a cheap and buy matching surrounds, I'm throwing these into my bedroom (after all, these ARE designed for small spaces). Surround speaker application: 7 out of 10.

If you swear by sattelite theater systems and aren't dorks like us audio-nuts, these are better than Bose, but find them used--NOT worth $400/pair. I seen better deals for my $130, but you're after aesthetics of "hidden sound," and they do look cool. Looks: 8 out of 10.

If you're a music fan, don't buy these. I read the previous review from the Maggie 3.6 owner. I'd bet they sounded better and better cause he acclimatized to the sound cause these don't even compare to Maggie's entry MML. Overall: 7 out of 10.

If you're looking to buy, hope this helps.

Submitted by Ogi a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers because of the excellent reviews.
The sound quality is really good, but:
There is practically no technical support.
The speakers are not adequately shielded and the center speaker will affect a large tube based TV.

Purchased At:   eBay