Focal Chorus 705
Description: JM Lab 5-1/2 Inches Chorus Bookshelf Speakers - Chorus 705 Black/ 2 Way/ 60 Watts/ Bass Reflex/ Black Ash Finish/ Price Per Pair

Submitted by -tk a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
For $400 Canadian, the JMLab Chorus 705 is a bookshelf speaker that's worth your auditioning time.

I auditioned quite a number of speakers to go with my system (NAD C350 integrated amp, Sony DVD player), and the little 705's ended up at the top of the list, both for performance and value. I am not an audio expert, but I am a singer and musician and know what I like sonically. Here are my observations about the speakers.

The 705 is a front-ported, small speaker, which makes it a great choice for placement in tight places. Out in the room, the speaker is even better.

Bass. While the size of the speaker physically limits the bass possibilities, there is sufficient low end to give the right bass information for most music. To complete the musical picture a subwoofer will come in handy. For home theater, a sub will be even more helpful.

Upper bass/Mids. The upper bass/lower mids are rich and lifted somewhat by comparison with the rest of the frequency spectrum. This will make vocals quite rich and liquid. Female voices are beautifully rendered with the 705's. Male vocals are also very good, but there is a slight tendency to resonance with some recordings (not all). The effect, I have found, is to make some male voices sound somewhat shut-in, as if the singer has a head cold. However, this is only noticeable on some recordings, and I have not heard this comment from any other listeners to this speaker. The effect is somewhat more pronounced with this speakers bigger brother, the Chorus 706. However, the predominant impression I have from this speaker is that it is an excellent reproducer of vocals.

Treble. Voices do not get shrill with the 705's, nor is there harshness or sibilance. The 705 is not a bright speaker, but has a lively, detailed quality (not as much with as other speakers, say the NHT SB-2). The degree of detail is well-matched to the lushness of the overall presentation. There is a wonderful airiness around vocals, drums have a nice snap, and cymbals shimmer with a realistic quality. Of all the speakers I auditioned (and I strongly suggest any potential buyer to audition as many speakers as possible in his/her own listening setting, in the placement desired, with the eventual partnering equipment) this speaker had the most enjoyable treble presentation. Was it the inverted dome tweeter? I don't know, but I liked the sound!

Overall, I would describe the 705's as an excellent speaker for vocals (as you can tell, I listen to lots of music with voice), with a rich sound. They have good "snap", very good transparency in the mids and treble, and lots of detail without exaggeration. From what I can tell, they also throw an accurate sound image, especially when well-placed.

Put this on your short list if you're looking for a bookshelf speaker -- I think you'll be happy you did!

Submitted by Jae Um a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
The first impression out of box is too bright. Big dissapointment. Period. Although in showroom it sounded pretty good. Manual suggest to age good 100 hours. I did not play any special breakin CDs and just listen.

After about 6 month later, I started seeing its real potential. But I was still not completely satisfied with highs.

Antique Sound Lab's Wave, a pair of little tube monoblock, transformed it into near perfect stage after another a couple of months. 89dB efficiency was not a huge problem for this 8W monoblocks since I normally listen to small scale classical, Jazz, and many female vocals.

With this combination, female vocal such as Eva Cassidy, Janis Ian, or Renee Fleming, is to die for. Male vocal is nearly good as well. Quite decent resolution and sharp focus are not very forgiving bad recording. But with good recorded material it really shines. Piano such as Murray Perahia's English Suites sounds wonderful.

$300 buck can not make miracle. It lacks real bass so it doesn't sound very full but does very well with authority until it is rated which is 67Hz(-3dB). It does not have ProAc's seductive mid and highs.

This Chorus was quite sensitive to speaker placement.

I did compare it with a few similar sized Paradigms. To my taste, they were tad subdued in midrage and highs compared to this little JMLab.

Overall this French speakers, although manufactured in Hungary, sound very pleasantly bright and clear, and made me my collection more enjoyable.

Purchased At:   Sound World