Epos Acoustics M12
Description: two way stand mount speakers

Submitted by Hokiehifi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
I really enjoy listening to these speakers. Stereo imaging is precise, with great depth and focus for a reasonably priced standmount. The sound is very detailed and I find it to be a pretty neutral speaker with a nice midrange. I would describe the bass as tight and accurate. For this reason the M12 probably performs better in a smaller room. The speakers seem to match well with my bryston amp and perform well with all types of music. The Epos M12 are not the best standmounts out there, but given the price, for a college student like myself, whose taste in hifi equipment is well beyond what I can presently afford, this speaker offers a great value.

Purchased At:   used @Audiogon

Submitted by bboy79 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great speaker, the best i had so far !
Good proportions and instrument settings.
Natural sound with an accurate bass.

Purchased At:   Shop in Holland

Submitted by T-H Lim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
For some time I have been listening to Tannoy Mercury standmounts with Proton electronics. Understandably, I was not hearing the full range. So, an active sub was added to my system. I was happy with this setup until I realised that some music genre sounded different at various level and crossover settings on the sub. Just what is the correct level and crossover setting to match a particular speaker? It then occurred to me that this sort of setup is not the ideal arrangement for reproducing the original sound as intended by the Recording Engineer. Hence, my quest for a new pair of speakers that would reproduce as much of the audio frequencies without the assistance of subs. On the outset, the natural choice would seem to be floorstands. So, off I went to audition a number of floorstands from AAD, Bose, Goodmans, KEF, Mission, ProAc, etc. The performance of the samples was as varied as their brandnames. It never occurred to me to consider another standmount until a sales attendant recommended a listen to a pair of Epos m12. It completely blew me away. I had never heard such authority in the bass from standmounts. Initially I thought there was a sub somewhere in the room. I inquired about it and was taken aback when told there was no sub connected. Wow, and the midrange was natural sounding too. And the speed, I have to say this is the most lively pair speakers I have ever heard. Upon closer examination, I noted the tweeter is of the metallic variety. I was surprise that despite being of this material, the m12 didn’t sound harsh at the high end. I then observed that quite high end electronics were used for the demo; Musical Fidelity. By that time I have acquired a Marantz receiver. Unconvinced that it would sound equally good with my electronics, I hesitated. It was not for another 5 months of auditioning other products that I returned to the m12. This time armed with my test material. It confirmed the bass authority it had over other brand names, including floorstands. And it was superior to the others in reproducing all type of music. The only sample I heard that come close to it is the ProAc Tablette 2000 Signature, costing twice as much. But even this model failed to reveal some details reproduced with clarity by the m12. Still, I was a little apprehensive about the electronics. To clear my doubts about its ease of drive, the salesman proposed to demonstrate with a best selling micro component; the Denon M30. This component didn’t even have proper binding post. Just the low-end spring clip variety. And yet the sound quality remains albeit at a narrower soundstage. Out of curiosity, I requested a comparison test with some other models in the shop. First one up was an award winner from AE. A highly celebrated Product of the Year. When the bass line came on, I was appalled at the performance. The timing is all wrong, makes me wonder why this is an award winner. Next one up is a 5 star product from Monitor Audio. Having a bass drive of equal size to the m12, it has better bass than the AE but not quite up there with the m12. Also, it has got piano tones wrong. I know what piano sounds like. I hear it every week when my daughter practices on one in my apartment. With that, I soon parted with my money and carried the heavy m12 back home. At home, in comparison with my existing set-up, it confirmed my notion that using a full range speaker is the right way to high-fidelity. I am beginning to rediscover my archives and savouring every detail that I had not notice before. As a bonus, the very fine real wood veneer finish blends beautifully with any furnishing I have in my apartment. This is one component that my wife has not objected to. In fact, even complimented upon. For those of you shopping for a good pair of speakers. Hold on to your hard earned cash. Be sure to audition a pair of m12 first.

Purchased At:   DAC

Submitted by Dariusz Wojcik a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
Hi! I just wanted to say that these speakers are great. I had B&W CDM1NT and having Cyrus electronics i had also CLS70 but although cheaper Epos M12 are matching these above and in my system are even better. Recommended

Purchased At:   O'Brien Hi fi

Submitted by tapani lappi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
Epos M 12 is one of the best speakers this price gategory.Very neutral middle area, accurate bass.