Energy Speaker Systems XLS-10
Description: 10 inch 100 watt powered subwoofer

Submitted by Sean Zhang a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had my Energy Exl-S10 for about a week now. Originally,
I use the sub input and not sure how to adjust the level
and low pass control. Now I connect to the xover input
direct to my sub out from my Denon AVR 2800. Boy,
the base is so great, even watching TV make a hell
of difference, let alone DVDs. I know this is not
the abosulte best sub, but for ordinary people, it is
enough. Some reviews say it cannot produce good base
under 35hz when at reference level. I listen to
DVD well below listen level and feel loud enough.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by David Maita a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
So I purchased this sub without do much research on it, in fact none at all. The first one I had did have the "hum" that I have been reading about. It also had some problems at high volume. I returned it and the new one is perfect. I am truly amazed at times at the power that sub puts out. I did look at the XLS12 but did not want to spend the extra $$$. This sub does the job!!

Submitted by Philip a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased the sub form OneCall.com for $299+shipping. Great service and advice. I originally purchased the Boston 8000 system, but it sounded terrible (lacking mid and muddy bass). I then purchased some JBL Northridge series speakers (N24) with this sub. The sub is great! The variable crossover points make it flexible to allow adjustment to the front speakers.

I've played jazz, rock, listened to the radio and HT and it performs effortlessly. Sometimes I get too much bass! I'll probably buy better fronts and use the sub for the really low stuff.

I am having a little trouble with placement. I currently have it a foot away from the wall and about 10 feet away from the corner. My listening position has decent bass, but an area in the back of the room has really great bass. I'm still trying to find the optimal position for this thing.

Submitted by Kevin Krzesowik a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've only used this sub for a few weeks but I am very impressed with the bass from it. I also have the Take 5 system for my speakers and for a budget HT system it can't be beat. I also recommend Marc Hallam at the Audioshop in Canada, http://www.audioshop.on.ca. He is very friendly and you will be hard pressed to beat the prices with the exchange rate. I paid around $750.00 U.S. for the Take 5's, the e:XLS-10 subwoofer, and a pair of HT-3 stands including shipping(2nd day FedEx). If you don't want to make holes in your walls for the surrounds these stands are the way to go.

Submitted by Trevor a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
Of course, got mine from Marc Hallum up at that Canadian music shop. Orginally purchased from Tatum Electronics.. STAY AWAY (10 weeks, no delivery... currently my credit card company is after them).

Sounds great.. not much too add. The hum some may talk about is due to the cable they use. I am running 25' of Acoustic Research sub cable ($15-20). Pretty cheap compared to monster. Mine was directional (had an arrow)... no hum at all.

All in all this and the Take 5 kick ass....