Energy Speaker Systems eXL S12
Description: eXL S12 12" Subwoofer

Submitted by John Hille a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a great subwoofer. The speaker puts out lots of energy. Even though it is a sub, it does take time to tweak to sound great with an existing speaker set. I have found that the unit only produces port noise if it had been calibrated wrong. For example, if the volume is turned up high with the crossover set incorrectly the speaker push too far out creating port noise. People that state that there is port noise may have the volume on the speaker set high to give more bass to music that may not have that much bass to begin with. Not all songs are created with deep bass in mind. If you bought this speaker for that intention, calibrate the speaker with a cd that has lots of bass first to prevent miss calibration.
The speaker looks as nice as it sounds, tight. If you found a exl-s12 in good condition for cheap price buy it.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Michael a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've had the good fortune of being able to sample about 14 subwoofers (in my home) for a week each. I've concentrated on the $400-$500 range. There have been some real losers with expensive price tags and known labels. Others have been a real surprise. This Energy Sub does an outstanding job of giving you the feeling of deep bass, not just hearing it. There isn't a huge difference between this 12" and their 10", but there is more substance to the deepest notes. Other reviewers here comment on the port noise. If you can actually hear the port noise when listing to a DVD at reference levels, you have some your ear too close to the port. The only way I can imagine this sub producing audible port noise is if you have it much to close to the wall. Just my own opinion, but this is a truly great sounding sub in this price range.

Submitted by gc a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
I considered Velodyne CT-100, NHT SubOne, maybe a couple others, but felt this was best performance wise (especially getting a 12") at the price I paid (from those I listened to, anyway - was sorely tempted by the Hsu for $499 but wanted to audition first).

Given my novice-itude, it took a while to get it adjusted/placed/tweaked (Avia was invaluable), but once dialed in it has all the bass I'll want in terms of my current set-up and neighborly constraints. Port noise - I suppose it exists given that an amazing amount of air comes out the port when you crank it up - but I didn't really notice it and anyway I'll never listen at a level where it will be a concern.

For a good HT test, the depth charges, et al, in U-571 were absolutely amazing with the Energy. I also find it very musical (whatever the hell that means -- it simply sounds great playing music as part of my modest system: onkyo 575x, 4 NHT Superones and a SuperCenter all set to small) in my relatively small 12x20 room.

Submitted by Jeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is to match my Exl:16's.

THIS SITE HAS LUMPED REVIEWS FROM TWO DIFFERENT MODELS INTO THIS SET OF REVIEWS!

THE E:XL-S12 AND ES-12XL ARE DIFFERENT MODELS!

The ES-12XL is a better sub, and goes for about $100 more at Energy's web site (www.energy-speakers.com), and costs a little more (for some reason, it also weighs almost 7 pounds more as well). I got mine so cheap because it was on sale and the last (floor) model.

My sentiments lie in most of the better reviews you read here. I have not heard any port noise referred to. Check out Energy's site before you shop.

Purchased At:   Buzz Jensen's

Submitted by Kelvin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've had this subwoofer for about one month. While it does sound fairly decent, the port noise can be extreme at times. Especially when watching DVD's which is what I use it for 85% of the time. Run a 20-35 Hz. sine wave test tone through this sub and you'll quickly see just how bad the port noise can be. If your going to listen to movies at reference volumes, then don't buy this subwoofer. I'm going to return it and buy something better I think.