Energy Speaker Systems E:XL-S8 P

Submitted by trey tarrant a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was using Infinity IL40s with a 15" cerwin vega sub and decided that they weren't all that compatable so I sold both on e-bay. I spent all of one day at work reading speaker reviews on-line. I saw consistent great reviews for these, so I went for it. I've been listening for about a week now, and i couldn't be happier. Better by far than my previous situation, and would you believe stronger bass than the 15" cerwin vega? The only weakness I could see is maybe a little weak mids, but I was able to correct that with my equalizer. If you don't have one, I really don't think that its enough of a flaw to prevent you from buying them considering their truly amazing punch and clarity. Since they are out of production, you can steal them on the net for around $800 new.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Submitted by Paul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I had originally purchased it to use with a Digital Dolby ProLogic DVD/AMP system. The unit I bought from A PLUS DIGITAL (Warning: Do Not Buy From these Clowns At A PLUS DIGITAL!)they sold me was faulty and wouldn't let me exchange it for another, so I am currently using my old Denon Amp system while the manufacturer is repairing the faulty DVD/AMP unit. I cannot wait to get it back because the sound/bass coming off the subwoofer is so clear and crisp with this old amplifier, that it has got to sound even better on a Digital Dolby ProLogic system. I highly recommend this unit especially if you have a small living room as I do (under 15 feet by 15 feet). If you are going to purchase this unit over the internet, make sure you avoid A PLUS DIGITAL as they are pretty ruthless in their return policies. Enjoy!

Purchased At:   California Audio/Video

Submitted by Ryan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
This sub is pretty impressive. This 8" Energy sub sounds better than the Infinity BU-120 I returned. The sub is very easily controlled. It is not boomy at all. It is fast and accurate for both music and movies. The only problem is now I want an additional one.

Submitted by Johan de Groot a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a really cheap one, but that can't be said about the quality. It sounds very deep, not boomy(of course placement is important) and it is an active one, but if you have some pre amps you can use the crossover input. With music it sounds really good with movie's too but then I'll have to turn up the SW volume. So if you don't plan on using it in a room greater than 8M by 8M it should be sufficient. I use it in combination with a Denon 2700.

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought my EXL:28p in december. They replace my 26's which I loved, but I wanted to experiment. The 28's were hooked to an Onkyo TXDS555 originally and now to a Denon AVR3300.
At first I loved them, even during the break in period. As the month progressed, however, I realized that these towers are designed to be played a high levels. Not a technical expert, what I do know is that clearity and fullness at midrange and exeptional highs are a must for me. These didn't exactly lack in mids and highs, rather the sub performed too much and to my ear, degraded the sound. Listening from another room was unpleasant due to the boom produced by the 28's in my albeit smaller apartment. That being said, if one is looking for a set of towers that will provide uncharacteristically good mids and highs at high volume while shaking the house in a fashion that would impress die hard Cerwin Vega fans (which I have not been since a teenager) then the 28p's are perfect.