EFE Technology T-36
Description: 2 Way Tower (37"X9"X12"D)

Submitted by PHead1223 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2008

Bottom Line:
Reviewed with the following equipment:
* Sherwood Newcastle AVP-9080R Preamplifier
* Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080 Amplifier
* Belkin PF60 Power Conditioner
* Sony DVP-NC85H DVD Player using an optical connection
* EFE Technology PRO-ONE surround processor
* EFE Technology C-22CF center channel
* EFE Technology B-15 (from Ed's iimported line) for surrounds
* Epik Valor Subwoofer

I purchased my T-36 speakers direct from Ed Frias, owner of Ed Frias Enterprises (EFE), in October of 2007. This purchase took a large leap of faith: I purchased these without ever hearing what they can do, and to do so, I had to send a large check to a stranger and hope that I received what I asked for because Ed has no website/internet storefront. I came to this decision after A LOT of research on other speaker manufacturers in the same price range (Axiom, Aperion, etc.). While the other manufacturers received good reviews, none had the passionate and consistent reviews that I found associated to EFE Technology. Every single review for EFE's speakers are 5/5, and they are always compared to speakers many times their price that are regarded by many to be in a different league than the other manufacturers I was considering. So, I e-mailed Ed at efespeakers@commspeed.net for his brochure, cut him a check, and I have been enjoying them ever since!

The T-36 is a 36 inch (37 inches with the attached base) MTM tower. It has 2 x 6.5 inch carbon fiber mid-woofers and a 30mm titanium tweeter (note: Ed no longer has access to the titanium tweeters, so he will be updating his speakers to use a new tweater that is available). There is also a port in the lower back of the speaker. You can e-mail Ed for more detailed specs. Now for the details:

Order Time/Shipping: Ed makes all of the speakers from his original line by himself for each order. They are not made ahead of time. I received pictures of my crossovers (with my name on each one) as Ed was building them. I received e-mail updates along the process. It took about 3 weeks from the time I sent my check to the time I received my speakers. Shipping was about $60 by ground.

Packaging: The speakers were extremely well packaged in custom fit boxes. They had firm foam fittings covering all corners and sides. They were wrapped in light foam wrap to protect the finish. They additionally had plastic wrap around the light foam wrap to hold everything tightly together. The tweaters had custom plastic covers to protect them as well. They arrived perfectly.

Finish: The T-36 speakers come with a very nice piano black lacquer finish. No scratches, no seams. They look great! The speakers come with a black cloth speaker grill covering the top 2/3 of the front. The EFE logo is below the speaker grill.

Sound: These are the most amazing speakers I have ever heard. I am not kidding. While I may not have had a chance to compare them to as many speakers as others could, I am still confident I made a great decision. The sound stage they create is astounding...very powerful and commanding. They were perfectly matched and tested by Ed. The bass has to be heard to be believed. These go VERY low, and it is all from only two 6.5 inch woofers. The bass if very fast, tight, clean, and not boomy at all. I do use these with an Epik Valor subwoofer because I like even more bass, and it is obviously needed for the LFE in movies. However, without the subwoofer, these still provided tons of bass for music. The mids are right where they should be. They never get muddy when a deep bass beat is playing. I listen to a lot of techno/trance which has a lot of highs and mids with constant deep lows, and the T-36s handle it all effortlessly. The highs are smooth and superb. They are never harsh, even with the titanium tweeter. In addition to sounding great, they sound great at any level. I can play these LOUD, and they never have any problem. Overall, just unbelievable.

Overall: I could not be more satisfied with my purchase. These are fabulous speakers. They lived up to all of the reviews I have read. Great for both music and movies. I know I probably come off as a commercial, but I am just one satisfied customer. Also, if you are concerned about having to send a check to some stranger in order to buy speakers...don't be. I, along with all of the others that have reviewed the speakers, never experienced any problems.

Perks: Ed sent a demo CD, a great set of gold plated banana plugs, and a very nice pen. Also, he made me some damn good speakers!

Purchased At:   Direct through Ed Fr

Submitted by wallypro a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I SOLD MY SOUL FOR A PAIR OF SPEAKERS!!! I originally bought Ed Frias's T-36's as my mains, to go along with the T-22 rears, and the C-2 center. This constitutes a perfectly matched 5.1 set of speakers. I loved everything about the speakers, the way they looked and the way they sounded. I listen to Rock and Heavy Metal music, so I needed some speakers that would really hit. I originally saw the T-60's when I went for a demo, but was blown out of the water by my wife. Then Ed told me that he was going to move to Arizona, and I inquired about his demo T-60's. Again I asked the wife, and again I was shot down. What part of "I don't want 5 foot speakers in my living room didn't you understand the first time" was her exact response. As Ed's move got closer, I kept working my angles, even to the point where Ed was able to help me sell the T-36's to one of his customers, so I wasn't going to lose anything. I go back to the wife and lay the whole deal out for her. The T-60's were the ones I really wanted, I won't have to eat the T-36's I have now, these are Ed's demos so I know he has taken special care to tweak them, still nothing! Then I sold my soul! We recently bought a new house so I bartered with her. Honey if you let me have these speakers, I will let you make all decisions about the house. Furniture, back yard design, landscaping, painting, decorating, you get to have everything else your way. WOW! She took the bait. My friend's now ask me, "Wasn't that too high a price to pay"? After about 3 songs, everyone agrees that I made the right deal. Of course, I do have to walk through my Yellow walled Living Room with Red country couches and country formal dining table to get to my Family Room. But as soon as I turn on the new Audio Slave CD in 2 channel stereo at full blast, it's all worth it. With SACD and DVD Audio in 5.1, it is amazing! Everyone that has come over and listened to my stereo says the same thing. They have never heard music like this before. You can hear every instrument, every vocal cord, every drum beat, the whole nine yards. Talk about speakers that hit, these will make your heart beat differently! So was it worth selling my soul? I say, I only wish I would have done it sooner! Ed's new contact info is:
ED FRIAS ENTERPRISES
668 W Lee Blvd
Prescott, AZ 86303
928-778-2616
efespeakers@commspeed.net

Purchased At:   Direct

Submitted by vrsola a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
EFE TECHNOLOGY T-36 tower speakers

Associated equipment
Outlaw 1050 receiver. Audio by Van Alstine Omega Star EC pre amplifier, 120 watts Omega star 3 & 2 channel power amplifiers, Panasonic 51 DVD. Phillips cables from Wall- mart, DIY speakers (Ed Frias design), EFE TECHNOLOGY C-2 center speaker and Omega Star DAC.

Decision to buy
This purchase is based on the 5 star rating from all reviewers, their kind e-mails with very favorable opinions and impressive performance of my earlier purchase of EFE C-2 and Audioreview.com DIY speakers assembled and built by EFE. It appears that people who have purchased EFE TECHNOLOGY speakers love them and have no desire to change for other brands of speakers. My earlier purchases in the 1980s were influenced by the copy writers who advertised for Bose, and the writings by so called golden eared paid reviewers from some underground stereo magazines whose recommended equipment costs half the price of a small car.

T-36 quality
These are heavy (60 pounds each), impressive looking with dark mahogany laminate made from 1’’ MDF board construction, rear ported speakers, full range, which lows reaching down to 30hz. Thus, there is no need to use my large boxy subwoofer that occupied too much space anyhow! They play bass when the music or movies present it without any over emphasis or boominess. There is NO excessive bass – but rather only optimal bass. I evaluated this with CDs that we listen to on a regular basis. No audiophile test discs were used. Comparing my Outlaw receiver with my AVA omega pre and power amplifier and DAC, the sound was much closer to the elusive “live & being there experience.” All the EFE speakers have some common characteristics.
They all have similar mid range and sound stage and need only a few hours break in period unlike some speakers that need 6 months. They also do not demanding expensive amplifiers for better performance, performing well with mid grade receivers but excellent with better amplifiers. They are cost efficient! The total cost of all the 5 speakers was $2900 including shipping!

First use impression
My term for “live or being there” includes all the audiophile terminology, such as sound stage, lack of brightness, true representation of vocals, transparency, space and any other descriptive words one can think of. The micro dynamics of subtle sounds are heard well even

Purchased At:   efespkrs@aol.com

Submitted by Denis Pinto a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
CAUTION ! EFE speakers can be addictive and may alter
your perception of music! :)
O.K., I visited Mr. Frias in mid Feb.-01 to audition his tweaked Bic Dv62si units. For the most part we used a CHESKY test CD (and various other samples). The modified BICs did sound mellower and more balanced than my new factory issues (back home). I then requested
the AR.com DIY speaker audition. Well, there went my
pride in my BICs! (BICs are GOOD). DIY handle bass very
well,vocals with very good dynamics and did create a
projected sound image beyond the typical sweet spot.
We went on to close with the EFE T-60 which are
nothing short of incredible. No listening fatigue,
distortion, and clear precise sound at very high
volume. That day I had spent four hours auditioning
. This was intended as a quick priveleged visit
but Mr. Frias is honestly enthusiastic about audio
and he enjoyed sharing. Time goes by fast when you
have fun. I was incredulous with what I had heard
and thought I was decided on the DIY kit.....
I came back a few days later to pick some
equipment I had purchased (5 channel passive
converter and Pioneer XC-L5 CD/stereo). As a
treat the EFE B-15 was auditioned then the T-36.
Once again I was astounded. Listening to male
vocal choral, the B-15 was very impressive. I thought
I was listening to the (T-36) towers which were at
its side. Then the T-36 came on. Absolutely
incredible is what I must comment !!!!!!!
I experienced a transcendence away from just listening
to a speaker. I was inside a field of dynamic
sound and experiencing the music.
My drive home to S.F. was filled with deliberation.
I wanted the T-36 experience. Well after alot of
mental discord, I decided it was best for me to
build up to such speakers (with equipment etc.)
Tough decision. I did order the DIY kit as these
speakers perform so well that it will suffice
for now.
To do this review justice, I auditioned
speakers at a high end audio store before posting
my opinions (I auditioned alot of speakers before
buying my BICs not too long ago) I focussed on
B&W Nautlis (803)towers and Totem MANI-2 two ways.
These units are clean and crisp but I was not in
a field of sound experience. (high end amp etc.)
Sampled Latin Jazz, piano,chorus and Joe Satriani
(engines of creation).
Hearing is believing! Two thumbs up for EFE.
value and performance.

Purchased At:   Ed Frias (factory)

Submitted by Tom Mulgrew a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2000

Bottom Line:

Let me preface this by saying I am not on EFE's payroll nor am I a relative of Ed Frias, the man who personally handcrafts these wonderful speakers.

I bought the T36s, unseen and unheard, based solely on reviews and direct converations with EFE owners. It was a gamble, but, man, did it pay off.

These are the best speakers I've ever owned. I really liked my Totem Sttafs, but the T36s just blew them away. Night and day. Bigger, deeper sounding. More definition,
clarity. And no distortion at high volume levels. In short, phenomenal speakers. And they are stunning looking. The deep mahogany finish even impressed by wife!

I baptized them with So What by Miles Davis. Unbelievable! When Coltrane entered, I thought he was in the room. Then
I put on My Love Is by Diana Krall. Wow! The finger snap was crystal clear, the bass line deep and resounding. Her voice literally engulfed the room. These speakers really put out. They are the ideal match for my ATI 1506 amp.

I had a friend over last weekend and he stood frozen in the center of my den when he heard the first few notes of an
Al Di Meola guitar solo. That look of awe in his eyes, shake of the head, goosebumps, you get the picture ...

The T36s are exceptional speakers. Ed Frias makes them
himself and you can tell they are a labor of love. This
is audiophile craftsmanship, to be sure.

Just goes to show that you don't have to buy a name brand speaker to get first-rate sound. Thanks Ed !!!

Related equipment: