Dynaudio Confidence 3
Description: 2 way stand mountable speaker (stand included) 28mm Soft Dome. 20cm Magnesium Silicate Polymer (MSP) one-piece cone Woofer with 75mm pure aluminum wire voice coil and dual-Neodymium magnet.

Submitted by hyperpsyched a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2013

Bottom Line:
I am not sure how to classify myself here anymore... audio enthusiast? audiophile? That is a fine line right there. I would rather say audio enthusiast as I believe I have yet to dive into the deeper end of that pond.

My gear right now consists of an Accuphase E-408, Marantz SA-7003, Rega P5 with the Groovetracer "Top-O-The-Line" subplatter, Michell tone arm weight and a Shelter 301, Denon DL 103R or Denon DL-160 depending on how I am feeling; all this running through an AD-20 option board. I had a Quad 24p phono-stage, which was brilliant, but had to sell it to finance this speaker purchase.

Listening to these speakers I feel that I have made the same jump in musical reproduction quality as when I first listened to Accuphase amplification (a "lowly" e-205). Before then I was using an Ayon Orion which was supremely musical (hours of listening without fatigue) but as I now realize, not quite resolving as much musical information as it could.

For me this is what reproducing music in my home is all about. Neutrality, jaw dropping resolution, supreme transparency and complete accuracy. I want to hear what every item in the reproduction chain is contributing to the over-all sonic picture.

I have heard these speakers described as reference quality, without really understanding what that means. I can now say that this is a double edged sword. You put together a chain of components that is as uncolored and neutral as possible, only to find yourself at the mercy of possibly sloppy production values or just sheer ineptitude in the recording studio. So be it, as the well recorded material sounds as close to a live performance as I have ever experienced. It is, for me, sonic bliss. I suppose there are other great speakers that can make poorly produced material sound listenable but the stereo in my car can do that as well. I did not spend this much time and money putting together a system that lulls me into complacency and homogenizes the good and the bad into something that sounds "musical"; I want the truth for better or worse. I don't want background noise for a dinner party, I want to hear the difference.

I have absolutely no complaints with this loudspeaker. It some sense (IMHO) it would seem the perfect loudspeaker. Iit simply gets out of the way, completely, leaving you at the mercy of the rest of your reproduction chain. It is capable of magic, and of brutal honesty.

You close your eyes and you are in the club with Jimmy Smith as he starts into the intro of Root Down (you can almost smell the smoke), in the studio sitting at the mixing board as the engineer hears the drummer accidentally knock his drum sticks together, in the concert hall marveling at the clarity of sound of a little triangle in the midst of a tempest of percussion. I am in in awe, and I am very happy.

I have no other frame of reference except for my cherished Klipsch RB-75s, which I also had to sell to buy these. The Klipsch loudspeakers are capable of a different type of magic and I will miss them dearly. They are wonderful, and for the money hands down the finest loudspeaker I have heard under 3000 Euro. The resolving power of the Confidence 3 however; these are just in the next level. At a retail price of almost 7 times the cost of the Klipsch monitors they should be. The Klipsch will also suck you in but are more forgiving of badly recorded material. The bass response, which I once thought to be absolutely without flaw in the RB-75, lacks the contour and presence in the lower end of the Dynaudios. The bass from the RB-75 can seem a little rowdy, like a drunk American at a baseball game. It sure goes deep, has a great time doing it but every now and then loses control. This however is comparing American produced grain fed T-Bones to a piece of the finest Kobe beef. Both are delicious and very satisfying, but you can tell the difference in quality should you ever have the chance to eat the two side by side. That said, some will definitely prefer the T-Bone, and good for them. I love a good T-Bone and the RB-75 is well marbled and delicious if you get my drift.

Like another reviewer mentioned earlier; this is a stopping place for me. At least for a little while.

Of course, Accuphase also makes some really nice SACD players, and that Manley Steelhead sure has some pretty good word of mouth.

Maybe I am already in the deep end of the pond without even knowing it.

Submitted by Bill Birch a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have read the reviews, I am here to say, basically 15' X 12' room, these speakers image like very few, they bring voices right up to the front with depth and the music components spread across the stage. They give a feeling of being able to reach into the performance. Their clarity is unsurpassed and inner detail is simply described as wow!. These speakers do more than you would physically expect possible. I have heard they need 200 plus power, hmm? I am running VAC mono tubes with separate power supplies(probably a clean 150w), VAC tube dual mono pre, Yankee Baton cable throughout (in my opinion, the best on the planet!) MSB LS1 transport and DAC, Sota Star Sapphire/ET arm mc cartridge. What I am saying is I have had a ton of equipment and this system has people shaking their heads saying, "what the heck, this --- is impossible (in more colorful vernacular)!" I also have a system with the Dynaudio Craft running on a fresh from the factory update Krell KSA 80 class A, not as big but clear and detailed, the tweeter and blended crossover with the driver simply equals a stopping place for me; I am using a Meridian dual powered sub with this system!

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Dmitriy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2009

Bottom Line:
Speakers have already withdrawn from production. Had a long look in the secondary market. Confidence 3 - great!
My systems: Musical Fidelity kw750; Musical Fidelity kw LPRE; Musical Fidelity kW DM25-TRANS / kW DM25 DAC.
+ Rel Stentor III

Strengths:
resolution! imaging! tone!

Weaknesses:
over power 200W

Submitted by honeywind a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
That is making the unbelievable sound. It delivers very natural sounds and extreme high-resolution with incredible smoothness.

But Its sound is just made only in case the very good amp matches. My dynaudio speakers need well balanced and powerful amplifier.

It also matches well my krell FPB200c with pass X1 pre.(that's the best combination that the dynaudio have recommended)
I thought that FPB 200C would be the best choice for my small speakers(the bigger FPB's not better than small one)

The sound with krell 200c is very liquid and smooth in high, and the bass is so tight and speedy(not show off nor boosted.)

Submitted by Jeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
Fell in love with these things while out shopping for a $5k speaker :(. For what I listen to (blues, rock and roll, a bit of folk and country) they seem to do a very nice job of letting all the music come through cleanly. Agree with comments already posted by others on their nicks, if they don't have plenty of amp behind them they do sound lean, and they also will tell you about glitches in your source components and/or music. My bottom line opinion is that in a system with good synergy of components these guys can make fussy people happy and keep them that way, but it might not be the most cost effective solution you can find. My system ended up being arcam fmj cd23,music hall mmf7 turntable,cardas neutral reference cabling all around, bat 300x-se integrated (300wpc +- at 4 ohm).

Purchased At:   dealer