Dunlavy SC-IVa
Description: (2)10" Woofers, (2)5.5" Mids and a 1" Tweeter

Submitted by docpete a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
Visceral would be the best word to describe the Dunlavys. Amazing bass and reproduction of music that makes my Martin Logan Requests sound colored. I compared these to the Prodigys in an all Krell cast system, and in my own home with more modest electronics, these sounded better.Best speakers I've ever heard and I don't have a desire to keep on looking.

Submitted by Andrew a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
These speakers are the most amazing speakers I have ever heard. The only two speakers that may have been equal to the SC-IVa's were the Meadowlark Nightingales and the JM Lab Utopia's but these speakers were $20K and $30K respectively. Due to the size of the speakers, positioning them took a while to "get it right"...but it was soooo worth the effort. The speakers are so detailed that you can virtually hear every breath from vocalists...and if you close your eyes, you would swear that the person is in the room singing to you!!! The focus and imaging is so incredibly sharp and the bass goes way deep.

I have friends who prefer a more layed back sound, but I believe that so much detail is lost with a layed back sound. I believe there is no speaker system currently on the market that rivals the SC-IVa's in the price range.

I must also add that finding a good dealer is tremendously important in purchasing audio equipment. I have worked with some dealers who didn't want to spend time with me if they didn't think that I was going to buy something right there and then. Others didn't care about what I wanted to buy, but more over what they wanted to sell me. It was a pleasure to work with Avalon Audio and I also got an incredible deal!!!

Associated equipment:
- Resolution Audio CD-55
- Plinius SA250 Power Amp
- Cardas Golden Reference Interconnect
- Cardas Neutral Reference Speaker Cables

Purchased At:   Avalon Audio Video, NJ

Submitted by Arto Makinen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
A really great improvement over my old Wilson set especially in digital sources.

I highly recommend these speakers to anyone who has a room that is large enought, has quality components to go with these speakers and really value a speakers that are as neutral as these are !

Purchased At:   Private sale

Submitted by john weires a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
Neutral, life sized presentation, and easy to drive with a wide variety of electronics. Great value for money. I don't know of a better speaker for the money and I've been in the hobby for almost 30 years.

Purchased At:   audio video logic

Submitted by Robert Sumner a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've been looking for something to replace by beloved ADS L1530's for the past three years but nothing satisfied for the money. The 1530's got me used to deep, clean bass and frankly, most speakers (even some really expensive ones) are totally lacking in this area. They either produce nothing or mud below 35Hz. It appears that it is much easier to build speakers with good mids and highs and then try to convince customers that the bottom octave is not necessary for satisfying sound. Well, I could not disagree more. Enter John Dunlavy. John has designed what I believe (and he can prove) is the most accurate transducer available in the SC4A. This speaker is absolutely linear throught the entire audible range and beyond. They do require a large room but if you can afford them, you probably have one. They do have a limited sweet spot but that is where you should sit anyway if you paid for them. Let others buy their own if they desire the absolute experience. In fairness, I've noticed they sound pretty damn good as I walk about the room too. The SC4A's will definitely tell you exactly what happened when you change an upstream component. If the result does not please you, don't blame the SC4A (remember "don't shoot the messenger"). In the end, you must judge speakers by how badly you want to spend time in front of them. I've been spending a lot of time in front of the SC4A's the past 3 months. If you own a pair, you know why.

Associated components are: