Dunlavy Athena
Description: 10" Woofer, (2)6.5" Mids and a 1" Tweeter

Submitted by chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2013

Bottom Line:
If you can get your hands on a pair of these used...don't miss them.
You will be rewarded with the best value for money audiophile speaker on Earth.
These are unbelievable sounding speakers PERIOD!!!! Huge sound, and great with all kinds of music. You hear sounds you never heard from other speakers , . Forget your other major brands, for the money, they will not come close. Their CLARITY and the highest frequencies is simply AMAZING. The dynamics and sound stage literally place you in an environment of “BEING THERE”. These are without a doubt the FINEST speakers I’ve ever heard and I’ve heard many. Very High Quality, in ALL respects, are the most appropriate words I can use to describe them.

Submitted by Jules99 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
I wanted to tell people about this great mod on the Dunlavy Speakers. I have the Dunlavy Aletha speakers. I had heard that the Aletha's use cheap parts and I recently found a great guy to do Mods here in New York. I had Blackie Pagano at www.tubesville.com look at them. He said the crossover was very complicated for a first order one and used the cheapest parts imagineable. For a $1000 he put in hi grade caps and resistors but did not change the topology at all. He just upgraded parts. What I got back was 75-100% better. It was amazing! The same sonic signature was there but everything was dramatically improved.

Purchased At:   NY

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
It's true, as stated by Dylan in his recent review, that Dunlavy Audio is under new ownerhip, though John D. is doing their R&D (good thing!). It is also true that Cantata and Aletha models are no longer being produced. According to Rand Clark, new DAL CEO, these models (6-sided Aletha in particular) were costly to produce- fully finished cabinets I suspect. They also did not "fit in" with the rest of the Dunlavy line. Personally, I could never consider any of the traditional full-range signature Dunlavy models because of huge dimensions and overpowering appearance.

DAL reports it has a new speaker, SC3A, which has a two- tiered grill, wood trim around the grill, and (I'm guessing) a different finish on the sides and back. It has the same drivers and down-firing woofer as Aletha and Cantata and should sound similar. No idea on pricing.

Personally, I'm glad to have the uniquely designed cabinet and the easy to accept visual appearance of the Aletha. Even more unique now that it is no longer being made. I'm sure the new SC3A will continue the Dunlavy tradition of accuracy and musicality, and though relatively "expensive" in absolute terms, good value.

Purchased At:   Analog Shop, Victor, NY

Submitted by Dylan a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
At CES I swung by the Dunlavy room, where they were demo'ing a 5.1 channel system based around the new SCIIIA speaker. It looks very much like a Cantata. There was also a prototype subwoofer. The presentation was excellent as one would expect, with a most impressive bottom end.

Apparently Dunlavy is under new management, and they are trimming the line. The Cantata and Aletha and SCIII are out of production and will have a single replacement, the SCIIIA. Looks like the Aletha just became an instant classic!

As a followup from my previous post, I have settled in with these speakers and feel confident they will be in my two channel system for many years to come. I just can't find anything to fault with them. I recently added a Marantz SA-14 SACD player. Whoah, just when you thought it couldn't get better, it does. This player is a sleeper; too bad nobody is reviewing it. Just wait and see, it will get discovered.

I've also used the Alethas as near field monitors, which of course defeats the time-coherent properties of the speaker, but they do remarkably well off-axis and up close (5 feet away). Try it sometime.

Submitted by brian jones a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've had these sweet sounding babies for 4 months now and ,if my lifestyle permitted, would listen to them 24/7.As it is my music listening has increased dramatically while my other endeavors have suffered.
These are the best speakers I've heard...period. Totally musical and non fatiguing in every respect. Dunlavys are known to be pretty accurate speakers, maybe that is the key. They are well balanced and very cohesive... not like listening to separate drivers. They don't have the "sizzle factor"....just a relaxed , ease of presentation that is totally involving with any type of music. They don't draw attention to themselves , just the music that is being played.
I could go into detail and talk about the down firing woofer, the attactive hexagonal shape, the impressive measurements, etc. but that would take away from my listening time. Besides , I'm not a real detail guy...I just enjoy listening, listening and listening........ah..heaven.

Purchased At:   audio store