Dali Royal Menuet II

Submitted by Noam a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2012

Bottom Line:
I've owned theese speakers since they were released. This is a 4" speaker that can be attached to a normal amplifier. You can find speakers with similar size, and compact systems that sound bigger and with better bass than theese Menuett's, but if you set them up properly (meaning with space around them on a firm shelf or stand) and give them a powerful amp, you will be rewarded with a very detailed and engaging sound that will leave your JVC boomblaster sounding dull.

It is extremely important to match the amplifier to theese speakers. They sound good on Rotel and nad's but they sound thin and harsh on cambridge or marantz amps. I use it with an old dane, the Thule IA, and it's the best combo I've heard for this speaker. Thoose who recommend tube amps are probably correct in saying so.

Recently I've moved to a bigger flat, and considered selling the Menuetts due to getting a bigger livingroom. Rather than doing so I've bought a 6,5" sub and have to say that even in a large room, the Menuett's can do a good job as long as they are placed correctly.

Place your menuetts on a solid shelf or stand with nothing on their sides, approximatley 20cm from a wall, and attach them to a warm/rock amp and you will not sell them again.

Submitted by mchanoff a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've used these occasionally for the last several years, attached to an old CD player in my office, but I recently set them up properly. Source: Apple lossless itunes files and older mp3s. Card: Assus Xonar Essence STX, Amp: Virtue Audio.

The speakers are on the corners of my desk, about four feet from my ears. They manage a really concrete soundstage, a little recessed (behind the screen). They're basically ideal in this setup. They don't go terribly low, and there's a slight roll-off, but I don't listen to loud, bass heavy music while I'm working anyway. They manage down to about 80 HZ in a very tuneful way. They're quick and tuneful in a (stereotypical) British way, but they tend to be a little soft and forgiving - not a sharp attack, which I miss on some music, but is a great trade-off for the music in my collection that's at lower bit rates and sounds horrible on more revealing speakers. This is a lot closer to an audiophile experience than I've ever been able to achieve with a computer setup, & I'm happy with it.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by tinde a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have been thinking to try to find something, perhaps better experience than Dali Royal Menuet,a and lsitened to Amphion speakers side by side. Amphions sounded detailed, open and sharp, came back to the conclusion that Dali were natural, soft and warm to listen with a good balance, the things I felt in love in the first place!

Submitted by John Ito a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
Slightly surprised by some of the negative views. I bought these speakers without any prejudice (i.e., magazine reviews etc); Dalis Menuet Royals driven by Cary tube amps were the best sounding system at the Tokyo Hi-End Audio Show a couple of times; the room you keep going back to when fatigued by other hard, bright systems at the show. The Dali-Carys were so musical, open, natural and relaxing. I bought these speakers and have been driving them with 30 year old vintage Luxman amps, and the sound is superb. As an admirer of ProAc designs and an owner of the LS35a, I do feel that my admiration is not based on ignorance of speakers in this category. Perhaps they mate best with tubes is all I can say.

Purchased At:   Audio Union Japan

Submitted by Jan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
These speakers sounded very thinn. Not enjoyable at all. can't see why people like them. I prefer the Dynaudio Audience 42s. Same price, better drivers and box. Although the don't come i real cherry veneer.

Purchased At:   Sweden