Dali AXS 8000
Description: Top model in the AXS series

Submitted by Pete complete a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2015

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers secondhand from my brother, who bought them from another guy. They are now almost 15 years old but was working properly. I ran these on a onkyo receiver 626 2x95w and the sound was ok. To begin with I was happy, before i heard something else. Wanting to upgrade I bought the Dali Concept 6 which is also a entry level model but newer. The difference is crazy.

The AXS 8000 is a bass heavy speaker in a large box, but the sound is muffled and there is resonance in the construction. It can go really loud and the tweeter never gets annoying, but that is basically because it is muffled and undetailed. There is also almost no mid range. This speaker is a party speaker, period.. even some cerwin vega models might provide more detail than this. Compared to the concept range, it is like taking off a layer of thick bedsheets from the speakers. The AXS fail to provide detail and air in the top range that the concepts have, and stereo perspective is poor. The positive about them is that they can provide a "live" feeling on metal and acoustic music, and provide some good party factor to the sound. For normal listening and home cinema? Forget these dinosaurs.. dali has moved past this speaker a long time ago.

Submitted by Joe a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2014

Bottom Line:
I have owned this Pair of Dali ASX-8000 Speakers for 12 years since their release in 2002.
They were made in Denmark. Unlike the later release models from Dali which are Chinese made (except for their current high end products).

The age old proverb of you get what you pay for does not ring true in this case. For the price I paid $550 in 2002, I am floored to understand how such quality can be produced in this price point. Even more so since they are truely Danish designed, engineered and made!

I would not specifically put these in a refined audiophile category. These have been in our dedicated home cinema room for purely movie playback. Due to the quality woofers and in a port reflex enclosure they are able to dig deep and produce tight mid bass. We run these are large speakers full range without any high pass cut off to our Velodyne DD18.

The tweeters are not shrill buy smooth and somewhat recessed. The midrange is present but not too forward.
The base has a slight midbass hump that gives it some extra kick without feeling bloated.

My personal recommendation is to use these speakers in a high end home cinema system, preferably sound controlled and deadened wall, as they can produce high spls.

On a side note they are superb for Electronica, Dubstep, Drum and bass so forth. Work equally well for golden oldies, Blue and rock and roll. I would not say they are the most refined for blissful classical or opera. These are Home Theatre speakers that can produce amazing life like sound with fast attack that envelope you in the movie and keep you there.

Background:
I have owned and still do a great deal of audio equipment. Mcintosh, Cinepro, Velodyne, B&W, Bang and Olufsen, SVS, PSB, VAF, Anthem Audio, Outlaw Audio, JBL, Kef, Red Wine Audio, Onkyo, Denon, CAVX, Sunfire, Krell, Martin Logan, Carver...List goes on.

Submitted by Arvid a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers this week. I think its a very good speaker with alot's of bass,and to that price I had to get them! RECOMMENDED

Purchased At:   Hifi-klubben,Bergen

Submitted by Casper Henriksen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was a little skeptic when I purchased these speakers, were they to cheap? Yes, they are too cheap when you consider their qualities. I use them as main speakers in my home theater setup, and as stereo speakers when enjoying music. They sound awesome, off course they can’t compare to a 2000 USD speaker, but I’ve heard speakers at 800 USD were my Dali AXS 8000 sounded better. I’ve heard all sorts of music on them including pop, rock, jazz, techno and funk. It all sounds great, but when it comes to classic music, you might get a better speaker than this.
They don’t require that much power from your receiver, so you can also use them on a cheaper setup.
The conclusion is that these speakers are awesome. At a low price, you get deep and precise sound. Dali is the king of Danish made speakers!

Submitted by PH a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
The price is low and the sound is high. The Danish people surely know how to build good speakers.
Use them to get serious sound to modern music.
Highly recomended.