Cerwin Vega Al-1000
Description: 15" Woofer, 8" Mid and 1" Tweeter

Submitted by J a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2007

Bottom Line:
These speakers are ok for the price, you get what you pay for. The sound is ok at low or moderate levels but the sound definately degrades at high volume. I removed one of the woofers and the magnet is relatively small, CV claims they handle "1000 watts peak", which we all know peak ratings are bogus, I'd rate them at 150-250 watts maybe, but I sort of remember CV telling me they were 400 watts continuous, hey it's been awhile. These are good entry level speakers, or if you want something big and intimidating looking, I wondered why such a huge "1000 watt" speaker would be so cheap, (under $1000 a pair), and you're really paying for a huge cabinent. I've tried several different amps, Ashly, Mackie, Crown, and compared them to many different speakers. I rate the Cerwin Vega AL-1000 as just ok, not bad, I don't regret buying them, they look great and sound ok. However I'd have been much more satisfied if they were 1000 watt continuous but they'd cost 2-3 times as much.

Purchased At:   spidergear.com (out

Submitted by Ketil a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers used at a VERY cheap price, and haven't regretted a second. I used to own a pair of V-15F but these babies just run them over. I love the clarity in sound and the possibility to play loud as hell all night if I want to. NO other speaker can handle the beating these beauties do. I haven't got the words to describe it. You have to listen for yourself. Tight bass, open mid and a crisp high. Suits my music just GREAT! And I listen to almost everything. Pop, Techno, Classical etc.... I would recommend these speakers to anyone.

Purchased At:   Private buy

Submitted by Ketil a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers used at a VERY cheap price, and haven't regretted a second. I used to own a pair of V-15F but these babies just run them over. I love the clarity in sound and the possibility ro play loud as hell all night if I want to. NO other speaker can handle the beating these beauties do. I haven't got the words to describe it. You have to listen for yourself. Tight bass, open mid and a crisp high. Suits my music just GREAT! And I listen to almost everything. Pop, Techno, Classical etc.... I would recommend these speakers to anyone.

Purchased At:   Private buy

Submitted by Wayne Newell a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I don't know what type of music people are playing on these speaker but they must be hearing impaired. These speakers are only bought for one purpose and that is to play loud and produce masses of deep bass which they have no problem doing. I am totally happy with them and of course anyone with any sense must realise that you can't power these with a flimsy amp. They are crystal clear and produce a sound worthy of their looks. If you want deep dirty bass then have a word with you AL1000 and they will provide enough to rattle the beam in your house.

Purchased At:   Richer SOunds

Submitted by Friend a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I Bought this speaker for rock and electronic music, and this kinda music it plays with an "in-your-face-attitude". If you want to feel the music, use this speaker, but use it in a large room (+ 50 kvm) and use it with a powerful amp, or it might disappoint you. If you want deep bass sound and nice reproduction in an "normal" size room the Dali 505 (older model) or 5005 (blue) will do it better that al1000 (not as horribly loud though).