Celestion Ditton
Description: Discontinued Series

Submitted by daniel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2014

Bottom Line:
I found a pair of Dutton 66's that went though a horrible house fire and they still sound better then my pioneer RS. 590's I absolutely love them they shake the metal on my deck awning XD

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2013

Bottom Line:
This review is for the ultra rare holy grail of English loudspeakers - the Celestion Ditton 88.
I was most fortunate to come across a pair of these beauties and didn't hesitate a nanosecond in buying them. I got them home and hooked them up but wasn't prepared for what I was about to hear! Over 30 years old, still gorgeous - but the sound! They imaged as well as the KEF 102's I used to own. They thundered like the Altec 19's I still own and they purred and projected a sound image as good as the Magneplanar 2.5R I had a few years ago. All things to all people? Don't know. Don't care. I'm just enjoying the music.

Submitted by Lawrie White a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2012

Bottom Line:
In the early 70's I went through a 'hi-fi' phase, bought just about all the 'good' stuff going.
Speaker-wise, I had some Bose 901's, very impressive, for a week, then I wised up &
found them very tireing, many others including the big Warfdales, Tannoy Ardens,
Spendors, Rogers, Quads, ALL were ok, but then I heard the Ditton 66 monitors in a
'comparison-room' full of dozens of set-ups, Tottenham Court Rd I seem to remember.
In a word....WOW!!! took them home there & then, I think they were about £600, a lot
in 1974!!
A pal was an audio engineer & worked for the BBC in a recording studio, & we set them up on some bit of space-age kit & fed in all sorts of loads/ohms fequencies etc. & found they went down to 19hertz right up to 40 point something khz all the needles were flickering but we couldn't acctually HEAR it, but we 'felt' it & our skin tingled!!
I love them to bits, still have them & they regularly get a good thrashing, I had to replace one HF unit a few years back, & I molly-coddled them over the years & they still look
& sound like new, drive them from a 210wpch rms reciever. Been offered £1000 for them...................no chance!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by yanoulecellestion a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2011

Bottom Line:
I'm in love with my 662 ! simply a perfect sound with every king of music! and belive me, when I say every kind it realy does, from ground shacking bass to crispy symbals to melodics voices,piano and orchestra they play them all without any failure! you give them more power, they continue to give the same perfect sound! I had them in perfect condition from their first owner for only 400$ but they worth easily twice that price, if you see some take them! even if they're not to sale! no seriously if you have a chance to get some, don't miss it.

goods: smooth and well detailed sound, outstanding basses
bads: none but easily breaking grills(that I don't use anymore..)

Submitted by Erwt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2010

Bottom Line:
I'm an audiophile without funds. So I just bought a pair of Ditton 25 for 120 € on ebay. Of course I needed to make sure if the 2 medium/tweeters and super tweeter were ok so I asked for a test. The friendly seller found a spare NAD A/V receiver (haven't looked which one) and a Marantz classic CD-73 CD player. Some pop revealed the lack of depth and quantity of bass I read about in earlier reviews. I was pleasantly surprised with definition in mids and high though. The high hat tssk's was never before so real to me. When I got home I couldn't wait to hook them up to a mid priced Sony digital A/V receiver with a an optically linked cable receiver as a first try. As I wanted to use them as main speakers in my home entertainment system, I tried them with what they were intended for. First thing at hand was a 192kb/sec Radio 1 recording. It sounded dull. The synth base was just absent. Then I had drive somewhere, so I had the opportunity to compare quickly (acoustic memory is short) with the standard radio of our Citroen Berlingo :-) No matter what FM radio station, I was pleased: It started to occur to me that I didn't misspend my money. As I'm writing now, I'm listening to harpsichords and they sound harsh. But then again my earlier KEF Q90's (also ebay) also did before break in. I lower the volume a and things improve: Violins are impressive. When I close my eyes, the stage is here, around me, so real?!? I could swear I hear an echo from the concert room behind me. Here come the pianos. Scary! I never believed in vintage audio - thinking that modern science was more advanced, thus better. What a fool I've been. This British craftsmanship makes me smile. I'm happy with my purchase. They are airy, very revealing, detailed, fast. Lower volumes reveal the interest of their passive radiator. At natural sound levels there is no lack of bass at all. Cellos sound like cellos, low piano notes are almost complete! Voices suffer slightly from some dip in the 1000 Hz region. I guess I should have a look at my filters, or did Celestion put the bar too high for the 12"?
Switched to Radio 1 again and The Drums (the Britpop band) throws some very nice kick drums at me.
I'll write a new review after break in.

Strengths: Detailed natural, very sweet at low volumes
Weaknesses: very ugly, don't seem to be built for high volume