Castle Acoustics Richmond
Description: Two way bookshelf speakers

Submitted by tillerman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is a terrific little speaker, all components appear to be of very high quality. Requires significant break-in time(2 weeks, 100+ hours) as the woofer construction is very tight.
My listening room is 12'x 20'(240 sq'=1920 cu') and my
50wpc amp provides enough headroom for loud, distortion free stereo. With careful placement they give solid tight bass down to 60hz where I cross over to a powered sub. Very nice!!

Submitted by h1pst3r a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
I took a chance on these while looking and demo'ing the M&K K-series, AE Aegis ones, Monitor Audios and Polk LSi series.

The real wood veneer is very nice, though, conspicuously, is first mentioned in every review of Castle speakers...hmm. After all, it's just wood veneer.

The Richmonds are a very small speaker and represent the lowest Castle speaker. They are also the only one's not bi-ampable.

The clears are clear as everyone mentions, but these little guys may be too small for my space. We recently put them through their paces with the 5.1 soundtrack to Amadeus, and they really shine during the quiet passages of flute and clarinet (I mean they are shimmering and hanging in the air...nice!). But under the burden of full-blown operatic sequences, with alot of dynamics and sonic layering, the Richmonds come a little unglued.

They get busy trying to sort out the dynamics and seem to stop voicing discrete frequencies so well and start to just push the sound out. Again, this was primarilly with busy passages at higher volume.

Bascially no bass to speak of. I crossed these over at 80hz and thankfully the sub helped the Richmonds do what they do DO well, which is voice and "cast" the mids and highs.

I have a broader and more dynamic (though less detialed) sound stge with Polk RTi38 (mass market speaker) and so I think these little (well made) boutique speaker will likely go back.

*note - our space is about 800ft3 and I think attempting to fill this space with Richmonds as mains is too much. Not to take anything away from the Castles, I think they are FANTASTIC speakers for a smaller room where delicate stereo listening would let them soar.

This is a very well imaged speaker and

Purchased At:   AudioLab, Harvard Sq

Submitted by vinnie161 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
Not surprising after listening in the store and with the expert ear of Mike Volpe. These are one of the best speakers I've listen to for soundstaging and imaging. They virtually hang in the air by themselves. I power them with everything from the Aleph 3 to the Mac 30's, and they sing. Fair amount of bass from these little guys. I even drive them from a 45 amp, it doesn't play loud but it's a smooth cookie.

Purchased At:   Audio Lab Harvard Sq

Submitted by supakij P a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I uesd richmond ,I like clar good ,
I think very good,

Submitted by Nick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
Picked up these boys after some dazzling salesmanship in Richer Sounds when I was originally going to get either Mission or Celestion. Had a creeping suspicion I'd been conned but after a few days of breaking them in I was amazed at how great they sounded. I have a Paradigm subwoofer which provides enough oomph to annoy all my neighbours so I can't say much regarding bass reproduction but the midrange and treble is crisp and precise on everything from Dave Mathews to Underworld. Superb. Buy them.

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds