Cambridge Soundworks Tower II
Description: Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by Cliff Wells a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2015

Bottom Line:
Bought a pair of these to replace my extremely disappointing Bose 601 Series IV towers. I got these (plus CS subwoofer, center, and rear speakers) for $400 on craigslist. I use them for both TV and music (through an older Denon reciever).

I find these speakers to be amazing. Now that I've listened to them for a while, I am certain that I'd gladly pay retail for another set (yes, even for a 12 year old speaker). If you can find a pair below retail, they are a steal. My girlfriend also loves them, and her previous system cost several thousand dollars and was hand-selected by her snobby audiophile ex.

The clarity and separation is breathtaking. The response feels very even, with no frequency getting lost or overpowering. Everything just sounds detailed, from top to bottom. The high end is crisp, but not fatiguing. The midrange doesn't disappear or sound woody. The bass is deep and clear, punchy and never boomy (we ended up not bothering with the subwoofer).

They get louder than I can stand, and that's saying something, since I get polite knocks and from my neighbors now and again due to my preferred listening volume (and I live in a house).

As others have mentioned, placement is important with any speaker. Don't push them against the wall. Get a decent amp, even if it's older and you have to eschew some features in favor of sound quality and power.

If you've done all this and they still don't sound good, try buying better music.

Submitted by Mygaffer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2010

Bottom Line:
These are awesome full range speakers. They can usually be had for a steal, they sound great, the only con is they take up a lot of room, but if you are buying floor standing speakers you should know that.
I recommend them heartily, I have never heard anything that sounds as good for the money.

Submitted by imwired a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
I traded up to these from Infinity's and a pionneer reciver. Heard these in csw and was blown away. Walked out of store with these and a Marantz sr-5000. Couldn't wait to get home. Wired up with 8ga. fine strand wire. They are the best sounding speakers i've heard for the money. Bass is awesome, mids and highs are good.Wattage doen't matter much but should be hooked up to a high currant reciever or amp. They are well worth a try for the money, you won't be di
disappointed. If you have surrond system, they pair great with Fosgate Audionics FA51.0 Rear & FA62.0 center(company went bankrupt due to poor marketing, but you can still get them online for less than half msrp. Great sound and quality.

Purchased At:   csw

Submitted by vicvega1972 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
After many years of using a consumer Pioneer amp and Sony bookshelf speakers, I decided to do some research and upgrade to quality components. I did not want to spend more than $3000 on the entire system - so value was of high importance. I have well over 1000 cd's and some vinyl. After much debate, Musical Fidelity components were at the top of my list and I got a great deal on the amp and CD player. I auditioned speakers to pair with these fine pieces at Spearit Sound in Boston. After awhile it was clear that B&W were at the top of the list, and I was going to blow my budget on 804's. And then (on a whim) I stopped into CSW in Newton, MA because I had heard from a friend that the Towers were a real bargain. I immediately ruled out the Towers because the sound was too spread out with no defined attack. But the Tower II's sounded OK in the store - enough to peak my interest and take them home. At $479 with a 45 day money back guarantee it was a no brainer. Needless to say there was no way I was spending thousands more for the B&W once I got them home. These speakers are one of the best kept secrets in audio for the price. Fine, neutral detail, excellent bass, powerful attack, wide soundstage. Anyone who turns their nose up at them is more concerned with brand name than sound - and through the power of mental suggestion makes anything that costs a lot of money worth that amount of money ("it sounds better because I paid more"). Same goes for speaker cables. Do the research and find out the physics behind sound transfer, and DIY cables become the best that money can buy (only not expensive).

These speakers are on clearance at CSW, and I highly suggest them for anyone willing to spend up to $3000 for speakers. Are there better ones out there? Absolutely, just nowhere near this price. Bang for your buck to the 10th power. I may not been in the higher end audio game for a long time, but I do know how to research (exhaustive) and I know music. I would not buy anything that is inferior to my needs in any regard. I am enjoying my new system very much, and CD's that languished in the rack for years are getting dusted off.

Purchased At:   Cambridge Soundworks

Submitted by tquest a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
Man, I have listened to all the good mid range stuff, alpha 50’s (very good but tiring poor sibilance) primus 250’s (amazing detail but distort at high volume) IL50’s (bland), whafedale pacific 50’s very nice (but no impact) klipsch RF3 (wow, cleaaar...lots of nice bass vibrations (just no kick, overwhelming in smaller rooms) cerwin vega d3, d5, d7, dx3, at12, vs120 cvt10 (the last 2 really good)

Vegas have a sound that appeals to me… excellent impact, very clear mids, respectable highs and loud...Vega’s have a deep chested balance & nice sound stage/imaging… but are wholly un-inspiring with the details… great for parties but they just don't take you away...the tower II's do...right out of the box...they image, show a huge sound stage, bring out the sounds well separated in detail and have a great bass kick… impact & subtle vibrations… not at all tiring...you really can close your eyes and be startled...

It’s all about the engineering...these really do add up to more than the sum of their parts...no aluminum frame woofers or exotic cone materials… just well built cabinets with tough, well matched drivers that deliver clear sound at any volume...

They do an especially good job with the detailed bass vibrations, while pumping tons of air...

They won't please everyone...but 9 out of ten who buy them will be happily surprised...if you’re a fan of 12 and 15 inch woofers or rocking down the house…the tower II’s are up to that as well as the classics....

Purchased At:   hifi.com