Cambridge Soundworks Newton Series MC200
Description: L/C/R speakers

Submitted by Kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Where to start? I've finally found a pair of affordable speakers that let you hear what you're supposed to hear: everything that's on the CD!! No details lost, no "warmth" added. I've had the speakers for a little over a month now, and I've set them up all sorts of different ways. The encouraging thing is, the simpler the set up, the more these speakers shine! Right now I've got a line out from my DVD player to the Newton P500 sub crossover (which BTW is another fantastic unit), high-pass out to a Denon amp, and some decent speaker wire to MC200's. No preamp, no EQ, no $200 interconnects, and I've got what I'm pretty sure is a VERY accurate reproduction of what was actually recorded. Probably the highest praise I can give the Newtons is that I'm now selling off my surround equipment. Because of their small size, I can have them about 8' from the front wall of my living room (which is about 12' wide by 24' deep) and they completely fill the room with sound. Who needs rear speakers?

I'd highly recommend these speakers to anyone in the market for small, satellite-type speakers. Unfortunately, the setup at the CSW store I went to didn't do these speakers justice: they had them mounted to the wall, and I really think these speakers should be on stands to sound their best. I took advantage of their 45 day trial policy, set them up at home, and now I've got some truly high-end sounding speakers for bargain basement money.

Purchased At:   Cambridge Soundworks