Cambridge Soundworks MovieWorks 308

Submitted by Roland a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I agree with another reviewer that the way you wire the speakers makes a real difference in bass response. Running speaker wires from the receiver front speakers out to the subwoofer and from the subwoofer out to the speakers, then setting the reciver to front speaker size (large) is much better than using the receiver subwoofer line out, too bad because the latter wiring is much cleaner.

I upgraded from a smaller Soundworks system and had absolutely no problems with the exchange from the sales people.

Purchased At:   Cambridge Soundworks

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
After looking around at all my options for a HT setup, I decided to go with the Movieworks 308 package because of the great sound, small speakers, and great price. I am using a Denon avr-1601 to power them and I must say that this system really rocks. The Basscube 8 really pounds the house and does a great job of handling all the demands that movies soundtracks put on it. The Center Channel 2 really sounds great and the Surround 3's really bring the whole front end together. The Surround 4's in the rear really do a good job and with their small size they are not impossing at all.

All in all this package is a great deal and I am extremely happy with my investment.

Purchased At:   Cambridge Soundworks Store

Submitted by Sanjay a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
Just bought the Movieworks 308 as part of the deal from hifi.com. I would say it was a good buy. However, I think the speakers are a little disappointing in the bass department. The front speakers just cannot handle enough. The basscube 8 helps, but I found it picks up sounds much lower (in freq) than where the front speakers leave off.

I called hifi about a possible upgrade on the two front speakers, and let me tell you, had a great customer-service experience. The technicial told me that connecting the basscube with regular speaker wire (as against the $40 shielded subwoofer cable) from the receiver's speaker outs will help. It did. Now, the subwoofer comes closer to bridging the gap.

I am about a 70% satisfied.

Submitted by Alan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
Tried the Movieworks 308 for about a week. Unbelievably disappointed. The mains had no base, the center sounded tinnyand the surrounds sounded like a cheap transistor radio. The sub was fairly adequate. Sent whole system back to HiFi.Com. They cheerfully refunded me. Bought the Def Tech Pro Cinema 100 locally. Using a Denon AVR95 and a Pioneer DV525. After I got it all tuned in and adjusted - I cranked it up and blew the roof off!

Submitted by Robert Cox a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
I too purchased Movieworks 308, Onkyo DS-474 and a Samsung DVD player for $799 with free shipping and no tax, great deal! I love this system, the 50 watt powered sub does a great job on movie sound tracks as well as the smooth jazz that is the fav in our household. I still can't believe we can get such great big speaker sound from such small speakers, this system fits our needs perfectly!