Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble III
Description: Compact Subwoofer / Satellite System

Submitted by Doc Hollywood a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
These speakers are probably only good for a bedroom or home office where the voume is typically low. I would not recommend them for any more than that.

I tried them for a small (10X12) room as part of a HT system with mixed results. The bass isn't there nor is the midrange when playing at any more than a background level. Even with a sub, they just didn't cut it.

The do produce a big sound that maybe acceptable for a small HT system and they hide well. Music quality is less than stellar at mid to high levels of volume. The sound is a little harsh in the top end and the bass isn't there without a sub and then it still missing a frequency range. The speakers lack any 'warmth' when played above background level volumes. Another negative is that the satellites don't go to the top end (18Khz max I think). Not that may people can easily hear above 18KHz, but it's not there with these if you could.

In all fairness, these speakers would do well as part of an inepensive HT, bedroom, or home office system. At $150, they are relatively inexpensive.

Look elsewhere if you want something more than a bedroom or home office background background music speaker system.

Purchased At:   CSW Local Store

Submitted by T a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my first review (see above). I had a chance to listen to the New Ensemble III once more and I correct my first review somewhat. The lack of depth is still noticable, but not as dramatic as I first thought. Also, the sound is a little flat at times, probably due to the small midrange driver. Overall I would rate the sound quality as "good", especially for the price. But for really smooth, balanced sound you'll need to move up the chain.

Purchased At:   CSW Store

Submitted by T a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
Bought the New Ensemble III after reading various posts on this board and browsing Consumer Reports. Hooked them up to my Kenwood amplifier to compare them with my old and trusted Canton Fonum 3 bookshelf speakers. I was immediately struck by a very noticable lack of midrange and depth. Playing various rock CDs the vocals were muted and much less direct and lively than with the Cantons. I tried various setups and other recordings but everytime I switched from the Cantons to the Ensemble III I was disappointed. I really wonder why these speakers get so good reviews. I guess they're ok but nothing to rave about. I will return mine tomorrow.

Purchased At:   Cambridge Soundworks store

Submitted by Robert Brown a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
This system has super sound for both music and home theater. Passive woofer delievers enough bass for most applications in smaller rooms. (I have a Bass Cube 10 hooked up to it) Better clarity and dispersion than I thought possible especially in this market segment. For really powerful bass you need a powered subwoofer though.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Mike a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is the perfect system for someone on a budget or who lives in an apartment building. I bought it about a month ago on ebay (refurbished from HiFi.com) for just $170 bucks. It took me about 2 hours to set up. The system works perfectly and has turned my living room into a surround home theater. My DVDs sound great and music is also top notch. This system does not have a powered sub so neighbors won't be too bothered. I would recommend buying something like this if you are a casual audio and home theater enthusiast, are on a limited budget, and live in an apartment with neighbors who do not appreciate their ceiling falling apart. An amazing value!!!