Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Theater 5.1
Description: 5.75" Woofer and (2) 2" Tweeters - for use with a computer

Submitted by Nagorak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased my DT3500 Digital for use in a ghetto Home Theater system. Yeah, I know, these are hardly the best speakers out there, but for $250 how could you go wrong? I'd say for the price these are a very good set of speakers. Make no mistake about it, these ARE computer speakers and they have their faults. The Center and the satellites go together pretty well, but don't match completely. The satellite speakers are a little shrill and the whole setup is a little "tinny". But what do you expect from a set of $250 speakers?

For the price these are a great value. The DTT3500 Digital comes with its own decoder box so you can use it for more than just computer hook-ups. The decoder can handle Dolby Digital 5.1 (but not DTS) which pretty much makes it perfect for a cheap home theater setup. There are plenty of input options, including digital coaxial and toslink optical, which should allow you to connect whatever you want to it. For their size these speakers also manage to pump out a lot of sound. You wouldn't expect it, but they can really blow you away during a movie! The included subwoofer is also pretty powerful, although as others have noted it is very boomy and I wouldn't say it's very musical. For Home Theater and PS2/Computer Games it serves its purpose, although you may find that you need to turn it down so it isn't so overpowering.

Bottomline: If you have a DVD player, PS2 or even just watch standard TV, these speakers will totally blow away the included speakers in your set. There's just no comparison! Once you have even a modest setup like this there's no going back. And if you don't, you don't know what you're missing.

Are these great speakers? No, they only cost $250! If you're an audiophile don't even consider buying these! But for the price you get something a lot better than television speakers!

Purchased At:   EMS Computing.com

Submitted by s u a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
Nutshell was that I left the store laughing. What! Amp, 5 speakers, sub, wires including toslink for dd and stands for $279!! This I have to check out. I was looking for a surround sound rig and first went and looked at the Energy Take 5+1 setup with a Yamaha surround amp but felt the sound to be underwhelming - somewhat hard and glassy even though the amp was known for smoothness also didn't seem to image very well. Scratch this one, hmm Soundworks tend to have good stuff cheap, so off I went to look at the MovieWorks 408 and a Newton setup. The Movieworks ($299) sounded better didn't hurt that it was powered by a couple thousand dollar Marantz amp this setup seemed to be smoother sounding, ok imaging, quite nice little powered sub but whole thing didn't like to go loud turned hard and glassy. So on to the Newton ($949) liked the dipole surrounds they definately created a better sense of envelopment but the front three speakers still sounded somewhat hard and didn't have quite the sound that I was seeking. So I started wandering around the store and pondering hmm...and then I nearly trip over this tiny little setup, have a quick listen and look and start doing a quick metal arithmetic lets see sound quality 80% of the MovieWorks or Energy price with Amp about 30%. Sugar, wrap it up!! As I mentionend above decent but not flawed sound, price awesome. Really the biggest annoyance is the integration between the center and the front surrounds. The center is duller and slower sounding, the surrounds are sharper and faster, more forward too. But then I have to laugh again and think now if they only came out with one for a hundred bucks or so more, something like the 408 with a little amp now that would really be something! In the mean time this ones a keeper.

Purchased At:   Cambridge Soundworks

Submitted by Don Tomlinson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchase the Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 for my computer speaker system. I am extremely impressed with the sound quality of these speakers. The bass can sometimes sound muffled, but otherwise an overall excellent sounding system. I dont use it for watching DVD's on my PC, but I do watch TV on my PC and it sounds great. The most impressive usage is for games. Being an avid gamer, I have found these speakers to be most excellent. Accompanying my speaker system is a Creative X-gamer 5.1 sound card. If you are considering these speakers (and why wouldnt you), pick up a 5.1 sound card from creative. When gaming online, I actually hear monsters or the enemy walking up behind me, and it comes from the rear speakers. Any movement that is around me, comes from the designated speaker to which the sound is coming from. A most excellent advantage when the enemy lurks behind you. One quick turn-around and you can put a bullet right in your opposing players head, before they ever knew what hit em'. If your an avid gamer, these speakers are a must. If you have the money to do it, go for nothing less the best. It can be expensive to build a dream computer system (mine cost me over $3,000 for all), but it is so sweet to sit back and see and hear everything to it fullest potential.

Purchased At:   Computer Store

Submitted by Steven a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have the dtt2500 and i have to say I have really enjoyed this system. It has great sound plenty loud for my small room and connections for my dvd player sound card and vcr. the sub it came with only managed a constant irritating hum so i replaced it with a klh 10'120 which is a little boomy for music but great for movies and for games the bass for gunfire sounds just awesome. only issue after replacing the sub is no remote but they do have a remote with the dtt3500. I've never had the klipsch speakers in my room but from what i've heard in stores i think the dtt2500 sounds better.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Carlo Berruti a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
THIS IS A REVIEW FOR THE CAMBRIDGE SOUNDWORKS FPS 2000 DIGITAL, A 4.1 Dolby Surround system.
I think that the FPS 2000 is better than FPS 2500 5.1 system for music listening (and this is said also by a lot of reviewers of sector magazines)... First because one of the big weaknesses of FPS 2500 is the sub and in this system this is a lot better!! It's more powerfull, more clear and better designed. Then, this is a system for the music, and have 4 sat. + 1 sub. and the music that come from CD is perfectly menaged. I raccomend this set of speakers, the muisc listening is superb, incredible, comparable to many other system that cost twice as much!!!

Purchased At:   computer shop in Rome