Boston Acoustics VR-M90
Description: <ul> <li>Die-cast aluminum baskets in all midrange</li> <li>Bass drivers dissipate heat to increase power handling</li> <li>Internally braced cabinets eliminate unwanted resonance</li> <li>Cast aluminum bottom plate with height-adjustable feet</li> </ul>

Submitted by Patrick67 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2009

Bottom Line:
Let me start off by saying that these speakers are the best value I have found on the used market under $1000. Many speakers have seemed to pass through my systems, yet this one seems to have stuck. I have found that this is not the most neutral speaker, but certainly one of the most musically satisfying. Lets start at the top with the amazingly fast, and brilliant tweeter! Clean, fast , extended are just a few words that come to mind. The midrange is fairly good, but not the best I have heard (B&W 703's). The midrange of the VR-M90's come off as a bit recessed, but not annoyingly so. The bass is were these speakers show off their character the most, it is DEEP, impressive, and has a woody texture to it. It is not the most detailed or fastest bass , but it is deep and can energize large rooms. These M90's mate well with both my large solid state amps (Rotel, Bryston) and reasonably powered tube amps. Though it is not the last word in coherence, detail, and control it is still an excellent buy, and could not be more recommended in the sub $1000 market.

Submitted by jenkster a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have to say that I am very impressed with this speaker! I have had more speakers than I care to count and these are certainly near the top of the list. Soundstage, imaging, pressence and any other audiophile adjective you care to use, these have it. Proper break-in time is important as they were a little stiff out of the box. After about 100 hours, awesome! I'm driving them with a modest Harman Kardon 120 watt receiver in a strictly 2 channel music system. More power may bring out the low end better but it is accurate and punchy. I guess BA is closing out the VR-M line which is a shame. The good news is you can get this fine speaker at a real world price. I have no reservations recommending the VR-M90's!

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by thedonn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
Sorry to be the only reviewer that wasn't impressed with these speakers. Have and still do love Boston speakers, but not these. I enjoyed the 80's (model down) much better. The mids seemed hollow? Sound stage was good, yet vocals seemed dull. No texture to the music. I went to hear, and thought I would buy these, but two hours later.....I was not impressed. They do alot of things well, highs are well done, bass was smooth (though understated) yet the mids were poor. The singers in the disc's we played, sounded like they were in a can. I even checked to make double sure they were in phase. Even the sales guys were surprised that the 80 model seemed to sound better. I did not buy either of these speakers, and will continue my search. Maybe the folks who own them, will have some advice on taking that "shrillness" midrange down a few notches. The ref. amp was a Carry Audio tube unit... Maybe that is the problem, not sure. Only can tell you, in that price range, there is alot of great speakers.

Purchased At:   n/a

Submitted by justin jacob a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best speakers I have listened to at Sound Advice. Well balanceds sound. The bass is more balanced, more control than the Paradigm Reference Studio 100 V3. The highs are a little brighter & more releastic than the studio 100 V3. All in all this is the best speaker that gives you true balanced sound. When you buy a speaker, they should be the same brand & model. It is sad to hear that Sound Advice has discontinued Boston home speakers. Due to the change of newer speakers from a different brand that came out. Plus their wasn't enough room for all speakers.

Purchased At:   5/4/04

Submitted by zephro a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have owned the VR-M90’s for over a year now and I love them more every day. The imaging and detail is fantastic and I’m continually surprised to hear new sounds from my old CD’s. The VR-M90’s are hands down the most uncolored speaker I’ve owned. They are completely versatile and sound great with all types of music from Classical to Hard Rock. In addition, they produce a very balanced sound, which gives me the opportunity to hear music the way it was recorded, unlike so many speakers on the market today. They are also excellent as mains for Home Theater application, which makes them a rare find in the world of speakers, which usually sacrifices 2-channel music for Home Theater, but not here, the VR-M90’s sound great with music and movies.

I also own a Boston Acoustics PV1000 (sub), VR12 (center), VR-MX (sides) and a pair of VR-M50 (rears). I couldn’t be happier with my setup.

Price Paid:    $2000.00