Boston Acoustics VR 970
Description: Lynnfield Front Channel Speakers

Submitted by Jim McKenna a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've been looking for these for 2 years now. I got lucky and purchased these for $148 a piece "open box" from Tweeter. Fortunately, in addition to the 5 year BA warranty, I bought the 10 year Tweeter extended guarantee. Good thing, because when I got them home I found one sub with a hole in it, and both with bad amps. Off to BA they went to get sonic tested and brand spanking new speakers and amps installed! A hassle, but not bad for under $300 a pair eh? Anyway, these things plain ROCK. Unbelievable range, and the bass is tremendous. I'm now thinking about replacing my Sony STRDE915 in order to take advantage of these speakers. Even at high volumes they are very clean and the bass tight. When matched to a VR12 center channel they are simply unbelievable. I used the "Video Essentials" DVD to adjust the sub and center levels for the new setup, and left-to-right panning is just seamless. I have a pair of KEF Coda 7 for surrounds, and they stick out like a sore thumb. Time to replace with some VRS Pros as I couldn't be happier with the BA Lynfield VR series. If you find them, buy them up, you won't regret it.

Purchased At:   Tweeter Etc.

Submitted by Gregory Wood a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
Their is no adjective strong enough to describe how incredible these speakers are. The $2000 that I paid got me a set of VR970 Lynnfields, One VR-12 center, and a pair of VRS-pro's for the surrounds. Hooked up to my Dennon system (Reciever and CD) connected with MONSTER, this combination cannot be beat. I agree with one of the other reviews in saying that "it's like listening to my music over again". You hear more of the music, with such a dynamic range it's like the music is right there in your living room. These speakers make all music sound great from Symphony to Metallica to Britney Spears to my favorites; Rush, Collective Soul, Boston. These speakers play my beloved Jazz better than most twice their collective price. They look Great and sound AMAZING.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Alma's in Detroit

Submitted by Steve a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
Given my budget for audio, I picked the pair up on close out @ Sound Advice (in florida only) for $600.00 + VR-14 center for $225.00 & am very pleased with the sound for both Music & HT 35/60. I am hearing more details from my CD's & DVD movies than I used to. I have also disconnected my powered sub, these speakers deliver plenty of bass in my 12 x 14 room. Can not wait to replace my Muddy sounding `ol SONY DD ready reciver/decoder with the new Outlaw 1050/750 combo. Sould bring out even more detail from these speakers. At this price, value is +5. These were the "lower end" speakers where I bought them, So I did not try to compare them side by side with speakers costing 2k to 5K ea. But the sound for me is a +5 so far!

Purchased At:   Sound Advice

Submitted by Robert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
Well, I have been using these speakers for a good 6 months now and I have pretty much fine tuned them as best I can. The problem was that every time I tuned them they just kept getting better and better! The bass is better them almost all the external subwoofers I have heard and it has the ability to shake you or pound you in your seat.

By far these are the best speakers I have heard in a long time. I will be purchasing the centre channel to match and then save my money to get another pair for rears. Hopefully by that time I will be able to purchase the new models and put these to the rears.

Can't wait!

Purchased At:   AudioReview.com

Submitted by Randy a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have been finding that my vr975's seemed to distort horribly, out of the blue, with this wild bass resonance type sound.... after several adjustments to the receiver and to the line level control on the back of the speakers, I found the problem! I had to push my speakers down on the floor with all my weight to get the spikes dug in good. The distortion I heard was the spikes and or base rattling against the floorboards! I had them turned all the way down because of this! Now that they are solidly in the floor, I turned them up and WOW! I was pleased with the vocal and midrange quality from the beginning and it gets better each day as they break in. The BASS is just AWESOME! I have two Paradigm Servo-15's and I have to say, I would not have bought the subs if I got the VR975's first. With these floor standing speakers, no sub is necessary unless you like it extreme (I have a particularly large listening room, and believe it or not, this is not extreme for me considering the room size and the level I have them set at for complete accuracy).... Well, at $1600 these are not cheap speakers, but I cant afford to play with the big dogs and spend 5-25K on speakers. I think that they are awesome for the price. I compared them directly to my Paradigms using the a/b switch from my listening position with my remote and all I can say is that the Bostons made me fall out of love with my Paradigms which I loved for 10 years.

A final note: for people who just like music loud, buy some paradigms for about 700 bucks. The Bostons are for people who enjoy accuracy and hearing every detail of the song. I feel like I am listening to every song I own for the first time because there is THAT much difference!

Purchased At:   Stereo Advantage in Rochester