Boston Acoustics Micro System 9000
Description: 6-Piece Home Theater Speaker System - Micro 90c, VRS Micro, Micro 90x, Micro 90pv

Submitted by Michael Richard a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
The system I have is the micro90pv 11. My powered sub began to degrade about 2 yrs ago. I had to keep increasing the volume to stop it shutting on and off. The light on back would vacilate between red and green causing much distortion. I sent it to the Canadian service depot and after 7 weeks they returned it stating it could not be repaired as there were no parts available. The system cost over $1500.00 so I am feeling a bit miffed.

Submitted by lax2roch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
Wow! I listened to several speaker packages before making a purchase. I used to believe that there were no products on the market that could compare with Infinity and Bose, boy was I wrong. Since purchasing the Boston Acoustics System 9000 II - I have learned what a true audio experience is! Most true AudioPhiles will tell you that no speaker system is designed to handle both the demands of home theather and the like of stereo music, while I would agree with this statement on a broad scope - most people fall into one class or another. Again, most people. For me, I listen to music occassionally - but mainly I use my system for quailty Home Theather reproduction. Let me stress that again, Quailty - the act of pursue perfection. These speakers are by far the best boost for the buck I have ever seen. I strongly recommend!

Purchased At:   Audio King

Submitted by Sandersphx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was one of those people that got taken in by the Bose marketing machine and purchased a set of AM-10s 4 years ago. And I thought they sounded great until a friend told me about a Klipsch system he bought after listening to both side by side at a local electronics store. After doing the same thing I ended up listening to the Klipsch, AM-10s and BA9000s side by side, and the Bostons blew the others away (especially the AM-10s). I didn't realize what I was missing on the high and low ends until that comparison, and after parting with my AM-10s (for only $100 less than I paid - they do really hold their value - thanks Bose marketing machine) I hooked up the BA9000s.

Have been very pleased with them across the board - watching some of my older DVDs (The Matrix, The Rock, etc.) was like watching them for the first time. And they sound just as great with CDs and even good old VHS videos and digital cable TV.

I can't recommend these highly enough - don't waste your time with Bose. Even if you are just a casual listener just try the Bose AM-10s and BA9000s side-by-side at an electronics store and and you'll hear the difference. And for my money the BA9000s were better than any other speaker in the same price range.

Purchased At:   Ultimate Electronics

Submitted by HT man a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
What an outstanding package. Just what I've come to expect from Boston Acoustics (my 4th pair of BA speakers.) Sounds great for BOTH music (2 ch. stereo) AND home theater. FANTASTIC for DD/DTS once the system is configured properly. ProLogic sources not as good. Great bass output from only a 10" sub. I've heard the sub clipping/distortion with only two movies so far (at high volume): ice field from Titan AE and plane crash sequence from Fight Club. You can't beat the value and quality of Boston Acoustics for moderately priced speakers! I'll bet Bose is green with envy.

Submitted by Larry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've managed to piece together the equivalent of a BA Micro 9000 system by judiciously picking up the needed parts over the course of the past three years. The very fact that I was able to do this within the construct of a company's product line says a lot about the company, its engineering and its model/pricing philosophy.

I originally purchased the BA Micro90 Micro Reference Series system as an upgrade from 10-year old Bose AM-5s (still a good sounding system themselves, but no match for the BAs) when I was upgrading my home system from Dolby Pro Logic to Dolby Digital in 1998. There was a definite lack of deep bass (below 35 Hz) with the Micro 90pv powered subwoofer due to its having only an 8-inch driver and a 75-watt amplifier. I augmented the bass with a JBL TLX PS12 subwoofer and moved on. While I initially retained my Bose V-100 Series surround speakers, the difference in timbre (BA front to Bose surround) and the V-100’s power handling limitations led me to the BA VRS surrounds. I also retained the Bose VCS-10 for the center channel, as I liked its low profile on top of my Sony television. This configuration lasted until this past December when I listened to the complete BA Micro 9000 system at the local audio store and was blown away by the full package. By then, the only thing missing was a BA center channel, so I ordered the Micro 90cII and replaced the last Bose component. WOW, what a difference! This speaker tied the whole system together and brought the thing to life. Having two 3.5-inch drivers along with a 1-inch dome tweeter (the exact same drivers as in the three-year old Micro 90x satellites!) made the whole front end's sound field seamless. Now, as an object pans from side to side on the screen, the sound moves with it with no noticeable transitions. With the system finally complete (well, OK, I am drooling over a PV1000 that might find its way home with me soon), I can sit back and just relish the rich sound produced by my three-year old system and know that I still have one of the best sounding systems on the market

What’s the point of all this rambling? Well, for starters, Boston Acoustics must be commended for designing one of the best sounding satellite systems on the market today—let alone three years ago! Secondly, they need to be lauded and applauded for sticking with a good design for three plus years and NOT succumbing to the marketeers and offering a “new” line (and worse yet, discontinuing an awesome existing line!) just for the sake of introducing a “new and improved” product! My hat’s off to Boston Acoustics and their engineers. I’ve always liked their motto; “We make what people want to listen to.” That and the fact that they can design a system with this kind of staying power places them a notch above the rest of the loudspeaker manufacturers and wannabes. Keep up the great work!