Boston Acoustics Micro System 8000
Description: 6-Piece Home Theater Speaker System

Submitted by Marc a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
For the price, you can't beat the Boston Acoustics 8000. I spent a lot of time reviewing the comments that people have made through AudioReview.com on all three of these models. One thing I learned: Take the reviews for what they're worth. Some people give the BA8000 a poor review, but those same people aren't comparing aples to aples. Sure, when you match the BA8000 up against a $1000 or better system, usually the more expensive system will win out. Let's face it, the more expensive the system, the more quality the manufacturer can afford to put into the system.

My point is this: do what I did and compare the Boston Acoustics 8000 to other systems in its price range and you will be blown away. The system is normally $700, but I bought it on sale for $499 (all 5 speakers + the sub.) When the salesman had me listen to the different systems, he was very easily able to switch between them to give me the best possible comparrison. When you demo the various systems, you need to watch the same scene in the movie or listen to the same track on a CD with EACH system to get an ACCURATE comparrison!

The Boston Acoustics 8000 had a distinctive clarity between the highs and the lows. In comparing the BA8000 to the other systems I mentioned, I noticed more detail in the surrounds. The speakers actually made me feel like I was in the middle of the action.

When I listened to a track on a CD, I was very impressed with the ability of the BA8000 to spread the music around the room and not make the instruments sound like they were "fused" together.

If you decide to purchase this system, you will not be disappointed. Just make sure you are comparing the Boston Acoustics 8000 to SIMILAR systems and you won't go wrong.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by Iñigo Ruiz de Oña a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
i wanted to buy a micro system spakers to my Home-cinema because my wife didn`t like so much the bigger speaker around the whole restroom. Finally i bought the boston acoustics althought i liked more the bose AM 10 system. but the bose spakers are so expensive for the quality sound they give. The Boston acoustics have the right price and gave me more quality i was looking for. I use with a sony 830 A/V reciver with Dolby digital and DTS and the other day when i was playing U-571 in dts i thought that i was relly inside of the submarine :-)

great speakers with the right price and the right performance

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
First, I tested several systems, especially the various Bose configurations. They sounded nice, but too pricey. I needed something to fit my price range. Then I stumbled upon the BA System 8000 teamed with DD 5.1 Yamaha 495 at Tweeter for $799. The receiver dishes 60x5. For these speakers. it seems enough. At first I was thrilled. Movies sounded and still do sound, spectacular. I have a small listening room and the whole condo shakes. (several noise complaints.) BUT, the more I listened, for some reason I became very critical. This is the first time I have found a review site, so I have not read any reviews outside of this page. The Main speakers and center channel are adequate for the money. However, I sometimes get some type of high-pitched feedback from the center chgannel that annoys me. Also, the subwoofer has a vibration to it that seems to distort the bass, even when played at moderately high levels. It is possible that the sub is shaking other things in my room that I am hearing, but I'm not sure. The surround speakers produce sound. Nothing extraordinary. BOTTOM LINE: I never thought I would be able to afford something that sounds this good. It has its shortfalls, but you get what you pay for. For the money, this system kicks ass. Are there better systems? Of course. Are they as affordable? Not likely. Would I purchase this system again? Probably. If I had 5 or 6 hundred dollars more, I might go with a different system. Tough to say. For now, we're married and I no longer fall asleep within the first half hour of a film. If valuing just the speaker system, I have to give it a 4.5 However, one way of looking at my purchase is that I got the receiver for only $100. Value is then a 5.

Purchased At:   Tweeter/Dow Stereo

Submitted by Steve Jenne a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had these speakers for about 6 months and have been very unsatisfied with them. They are ok for the price, but would strongly recommend looking elsewhere. My wife bought them from a store that we can trade up, but they only carry Klipsch, Bostons, and Polks. Stay away from the 8000's

Submitted by Philip Thi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have a pair of Mackie powered near-field monitor speakers, that I use to reference everything else.
The System8000 sounded weak, and generally lacking in tonal quality. The highs weren't high enough, the mids were non-existent, but the sub was usually too load. There were holes everywhere in the sound spectrum. I would definitely recommend the Boston System9000, or even JBL Northridge series. I ended up using my old SubSat6 heads for the fronts, which sounded a lot better, but ended returning the System8000.