Boston Acoustics Media Theater
Description: 3-Piece Powered Speaker System

Submitted by Michael Stevens a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
I first heard the Boston Acoustics Multimedia speakers several years ago when Gateway began to open their Country Stores. Every since then, I have always wanted to own a pair. I was searching on Ebay and found a used pair that was 1 year old. The starting bid was for $75.00 with a Buy Now price of $120.00. The auction closed with no bidders. I emailed the guy and told him I was willing to pay $50.00 if he was interested and if he reposted the auction, I would pay that day. Well, to my surpise he did! I paid $60.00 including s/h.
When they arrived, the first thing I noticed was the weight of the package (20 lbs). The satellites are heavy, not cheap plastic. The speaker grills are hard as a rock! My 3 year old son couldn't abuse these babies! The right satellite has knobs for volume, surround, and sub volume. It also has a connection on the right satellite for headphones (Bonus)! This is a great plus. No more reaching under the desk to adjust the sub. They also have small speaker brackets that angle the satellites up towards your ears. This helps for good imaging. I turned them up and they sound sooo sweet. The sound is a very natural, "full" sound. You get a great amount of volume out of these speakers, but it's not just volume, it's sweet music.

The sub is tight and not boomy. Inside the sub resides a Dolby Prologic decoder with Virtual Dolby Surround. This allows the two satellites to simulate surround sound. There is an optional hookup for actual surround sound speakers.

As you can see, I am thoroughly impressed with these speakers. I highly recommend them to anyone wanting a great set of multimedia speakers. I even prefer these over the Klipsch Promedia Speakers.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by micky drippin a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a sound system,then this would be the best I could recommend.If quality is what you want,and not some cheap,light and plastic tinny sounding rubbish,go no further.The system is truly exceptional.The bass is solid not boomy.The satellites are a total trip.They are 3inches in size, but don't let that fool you.They produce a massive sound and remember a lot of systems do also, but not with clarity and that's what makes this system a total winner.Whether you like rock,classic or like myself game music,I can say without a doubt you will not be disappointed.PREDICTION! If you listen to them...SOLD.

Purchased At:   Myer

Submitted by Phil a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
As the owner of a project recording studio I have always looked for an accurate set of computer speakers that could closely approximate the Tannoy PBM-8's and PS115 Subwoofer I use for my main recording monitor setup.
The Boston Media Theater is the ticket.

Having an adjustable subwoofer & surround sound at your fingertips is also a big plus (no more crawling under the desk to adjust the subwoofer on the fly).

In short great speakers if you don't mind laying out some cash as they are a little more expensive than most other systems out there, but remember you get what you pay for and I am a firm believer in buying things ONCE!!!!

Submitted by Barrie Russell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
I first came across the Digital MediaTheatre quite by accident. I was on the lookout for a new PC, as my p.133 had just died. I was walking through my local shopping mall, and as soon as i walked in the door i could hear music. As it turned out, there was a Gateway display stand in the middle of the mall. I could hear the music literally over the other side of the mall....and this place is BIG!
The sound was absolutely fantastic, the bass immense, and it managed to fill a whole shopping mall. As i found out, this was a Digital MediaTheatre by Boston Acoustics.
I loved the pc it was attached to also, so that was the one i thought.
I was amazed by the price too, only £120 (US$180) for the speakers and a SoundBlaster Live! sound card.
Sitting at home now, a couple of months later, they're still firmly plugged into my PIII 500. Gaming is one intense experience and I actually use the setup in place of my HiFi.

If anyone is considering a new PC or speakers, i urge you to consider them, as they truly are the best speakers ever!

Submitted by Jason Miller a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
Very good system yet a bit pricy. If you would like to get a good system for your computer I recommend just getting a good sterio and hook it up to your computer and make your computer an auxillary input (preferrably digital). I have recently purchased a Kenwood VR307 and a pair of Optimus STS-1230s. They sound just as good if you also have a 100 watt+ powered subwoofer. I purchased this for roughly $300 without a sub.