Boston Acoustics CR 7
Description: Bookshelf Speakers - 5.25" Woofer and 0.75" Tweeter

Submitted by terra1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2012

Bottom Line:
Even with an audio video receiver Sony STR-GX909ES, it sounds great for music. I can listen at moderate volumes and picture a live performance.

As far as removing the metal grill, place it on its back. The metal screen has some give. Place the fingertips of both hands in the slot between the screen and cabinet, press fingertips in slightly as you pull up. Do the same for the other side. You really don't need to remove the grill other than to maybe brush or clean the drivers. The surround is some kind of rubber so you don't need to worry about foam rot.

If you are familiar with the Boston sound through the Boston A-100 or Boston VR-40, you won't be disappointed. The consistent smoothness of vocals is present.

Submitted by Tourniquet a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I Bought these speakers used over e-bay, because I needed some rear speakers to complete my 5.1 system. They were lightly used, and I have been very pleased.

The are VERY good dorm room (or any small room) speakers. They have great highs and lows. The ported design really helps out the lows I think. The mids are the only soggy spot when compared to speakers of MUCH higher price. I compared these speakers directly with the JBL n26's, although it was close the Bostons seemed to be much better behaved and had a cleaner, more balanced over all sound. Only thing I did not like, is I broke the plastic wall mount on the back of the speaker, maybe could have been reinforced a little...

Purchased At:   E-bay

Submitted by Cary Ginell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
I hadn't bought speakers in 15 years but today my old Infinitys blew out so I had to go shopping. The Bostons blew me away with their crispness and definition of sound. I was told they were like sitting in Row C of a large theater, listening to an orchestra. I wanted to be able to single out individual instruments for discographical research. I also transcribe lyrics and melodies so I need honest, true sound. I compared these with Monitors, B&W, and Bose and the Bostons won hands down. No skewing of the sound, great highs, fair lows, but nothing muddy. Bravo Boston!

Purchased At:   Wilshire Home Entert

Submitted by cschell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
Actually I own the CR75s which replaced the CR7s.
Wow! These speakers sound better than some speakers twice their price! They are my main front speakers in my first real home theater system and they sound amazing. The sound is open and full, unlike many competitors in this price range. I listened to side by side comparisons with Bose, Klipsch, Infinity, and Def tech and these speakers were by far the best sounding. Open and natural, the soundstage is great and the mids and highs are exceptionally clean. The salesman (whom I've worked with for years) was even surprised at how good these speakers sounded. For music they are tight and clean, and movies sound great as well. When matched with the other boston's the sound is seemless. Add a sub and everything sounds great! I'm glad that Boston builds great sounding speakers for those of us who can't afford the high-end stuff. My setup includes the CR75s, CR65s for the rear channels, a CRC center, a Yamaha HTR5550 receiver and a Def Tech prosub 80 (great sub, see review if interested).

Purchased At:   Soundtrack

Submitted by The Royal One a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
One Word, GREAT!!!

Purchased At:   eBay