Bang & Olufsen BeoLab 8000
Description: Active Loudspeakers With Power Amplifier Modules - Adaptive Bass Linearisation - Aluminium Cabinet - (2) 4" Woofer and 0.75" Tweeter

Submitted by Csacred a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2012

Bottom Line:
I agree with the previous post. My Beolab 8000 sound 1000 time better in my living room than the B&O store I first auditioned them. It's actually surprising that B&O stores would have so bad acoustics!?!...
Anyway, I think $5650 retail is a bit much but anyone can get a used pair for about $2000 and at this price, they are definitely worth it (5 stars value rating based on preowned value, I'd give 2 for retail ; )
They have internal amps and can be used with any source with a volume control thanks to the RCA connections so kinda ideal for anyone using a Dac/preamp/computer. Fed with lossless music files, I am very happy with the way they sound now. I might add a little subwoofer down the road...

Submitted by B&O a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2009

Bottom Line:
Hi

Im happy to say that I recently bought a new set of Beolab 8000's, a new Beosound 4 & a new Beo4.
Last night I unpacked every packages & then I spend a little time (a lot of time) to install it.
When the installation finally come's to an end it was time for some listening!

I didnt crank the volume up, just to 60 on the volume scale - but wow!!
I played Dire Straits - best of & John Lindberg trio.

The sound image was very big (the 8000's sound at home is magnificient - 1000 times better then in the store)
and the details are sharp, even though the speakers are not played in.

It hit me early, that the people who said "Lack of bass" about Beolab 8000 - certainly havent listen to them!

I was suprised/amazed when the bass from "money for nothing" & Brand new philosophy " streamed out from the thin pillars.

The sound settings is bass -1 & treble +1 & offcourse loudness off.

Before I bought the system I have a idea of acquiring me the BeoLab 2, but not anymore!

And the Beosound 4 is so beautiful and easy to use (my girlfriend's demands were just BeoSound 4,
she let me choose the speakers).

You should not listen to people who can't afford this loudspeaker, it's trulu one of the most refined theres is..
If you are fond by the look & you want a beutiful sound - BUY THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by maiaibing a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
These are the Ferrari of speakers. The Versace of handbags. Value/performance is no reason to buy B&O. My wife wanted these for one reason: they look great. That's right; the design. And they even look better in real life. The pictures do not do them justice. Its two pieces of art work adding to the designs of your living room. To me the sound is really good for such a relatively small pair of speakers. My wife could not wish for more. I am sure some people have higher audio demands and better ears and they are not cheap for sure. But they will last many years - and look great even longer. Choice is great. Fortunately there is an audience also for B&O.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Dennis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
My thoughts are more simplistic, and I should say upfront that I'm a long time (decades) B&O fan. Bottom-line, I did not give the 8000s a 5-rating due to the price. I have the 8000s mated to the 3200 and the Avant with a B&O matching cabinet. I simply use all factory settings, and I think for all the reasons stated before me, the 8000s are a cool speaker. Further, B&O is cool stuff, albeit pricey.

Also, I have my entire house wired for B&O sound in every room including the outside deck and porch.

I almost bought the new B&O 42" plasma, but anticipate buying the new high end speakers when B&O releases they're inevitable OLED screen.

Submitted by Francis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
Let's make one thing clear: if the ultimate sound quality or bang for the buck is the primary criteria, then B&O is not for you. You can buy any number of components and speaker combinations that will sound as good or maybe even better at the same price, if you don't mind the "ugly" box or don't appreciate what B&O style brings you. B&O is for those who appreciate good sound TOGETHER with good artistic design.

That aside, BL8000 is a fantastic speaker, period. In the 5 years I have had it, it has consistently delivered exceptional sound in style, literally. Its high is spine tingling, its mid mellow, its low tight and convincing. If I have to nit pick, I would say, compare to the better conventional speakers, its sound is somewhat metallic (heck, its housing is metallic, extruded aluminum). But that suits piano and string music just fine. And this is really splitting hair here. My music interest focuses on classical and some neo/pseudo-classical like Sarah Brightman. I can imagine BL8000 may be a bit lacking at the super low end if one is heavy into heavy metal or R&B. But that is not my cup of tea so it does not bother me. They are plenty loud, too, since I have no intention to compete with neiborhood kid's monster car stereo rumbling by from time to time.

The built-in amplifier is an engineering marvel. It is not the technical complexity that makes it an engineering marvel, it is the concept. In one master stroke, many difficult engineeing problems are solved. You no longer need to worry about matching the amplifier to the speaker, or proper speaker cable. Technically, you can even daisy chain multiple speakers. I believe B&O sub can be connected this way, although I don't have one.

If all we ever want is function, all we will have is match box buildings, there will be no Sidney Opera House, no Gugenheim, no B&O. Incidentally, many mainstream manufacturers are coming up with B&O look alike systems at much more affordable prices. I can only say that is a good thing. Good ideas should be shared and enjoyed by the masses. And then people will point back and say: B&O, that is the real thing.