B&W DM 7 Mk II
Description: (1978-1984)

Submitted by David Tumino a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2007

Bottom Line:
I recently retired my DM7s. They have provided excellent value at their price point for more than 25 years. Paid approx $1,250/pr, new. They still seem to sound "new" to me. As with all B&W products of that era, the build quality is excellent.

They were originally powered by Phase Linear 400/4000 system [original Bob Carver]. Later, Adcom 555/565. The speakers performed superbly... it's the electronics that could have been chosen better. Mid-range excellent, bass could be a little boomy and uncontrolled depending on the source. I think the DM7s today would compete well, performance wise, with new speakers around $3,000/pr and more.

I now have PMC IB2s [British again!] powered by Bryston [Canadian]. Although there is no comparison to be made, I will always remember and respect the performance of the DM7s.

Purchased At:   Three Phase Audio La

Submitted by Alex a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers when I saw them advertised in the local paper. I already had DM303s which I love to bits, and I am a big fan of B&W loudspeakers. I'm a student on an income of £30 a week, so I really can't afford much. I use the speakers with a Rotel RSX 1055 which I bought on eBay.

As people have said above, they are very power hungry. I originally used them with a 25 wpc Nad C300, and I was getting nothing out of them. Sounded no better than my sister's Hitachi micro system. Very very week and unstable bass, hollow midrange and the treble seemed very blurred and seemed to respond differently to dynamics to the bass/mid driver & passive driver combination.

I then borrowed my dad's C350 for a while, just so I could utilise some of the speaker's capabilities. The difference was huge. The bass was now stable well down below 40 Hz, and into subwoofer territories, and offered good response even at VERY low volume levels. I could turn the volume up quite high and they remained in control well, although the stereo image gets a bit confused at very high levels. As you turn the volume up more and more the bass gets better and better. Much snappier at higher volumes and very clean when it comes to kick drums. At low levels the bass can be a bit poorly defined. Midrange is pretty natural, although there sometimes seems to be a bit of bias in the upper midrange area.

When I moved up to the Rotel amp, it was just a general improvement across the board. Snappier bass at lower levels (although not that fast by today's standards) and much more detailed high end. The soundstage seemed much more forward, and spacious. The bass gained depth in the very low register and the response was imporved even further. Midrage seemed to lose it's slight lumpiness and the result is that certain instruments (particularly female vocals) seem quite real.

They play very loud when needed, although not recommended for those who listen to very loud vinyl, as the drive cones don't like very low bass rumble. They begin to reach their XMax pretty quickly, and while bottoming out doesn't make as much of a "bang" as a lot of speakers, these will let you know when you're giving them too much below the audible range. If you give them something which is excellently produced, and has had the ultra extreme low end filtered off, then they play VERY loud when needed.

I had to take the drive cones out and blu-tack the cables to the top of the cabinets as I found they were rattling at certain frequencies. To do this, lay the speaker on it's side and SLOWLY unscrew the top drive cones (not the tweeters). Be very careful as most of the weight from this speaker comes from the HUGE magnets on the back of the drive cones. When unscrewed, just put the drive cone face down on a soft carpet just by the baffle, and blu tack the cable to the top of the cabinet (the aluminium section in the MK2s like mine) at around 5 cm intervals. The result is no rattle at all, if you take the covers off. Don't worry if the iron on the magnet seems to be deteriating, It's natural in a speaker of this age, and these suffer from it much less than other models as the cabinets are very well sealed.

If you can get them with the original instructions, then you also get a frequency response graph and a date of the tests. Drive cones also have a date sticker on the back, and mine were made on the day of my birthday!

In very very good condition, I would pay up to £900 for a pair of these nowadays.

Purchased At:   Second Hand, Private

Submitted by hf a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
B&W DM-2000 LOUDSPEAKERS.I have used these speakers since 1985.They sound execlent on all types of music.The speakers are of a 2-way design.A third driver is used as a passive radiator for the lowest frequencies with no electrical connection.Each speaker weighs 55 lbs,sealed enclourse.Has apoc automatic speaker protection circuit.

Purchased At:   Anderson Sound

Submitted by Randy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought these back in 1982 and had them for about 2 months before I sold them through the local "Buy & Sell" free ad paper to a guy who, after an audition, gasped that they were the "clearest speakers he ever heard." He bought them on the spot. I later purchased the 802s which I had until recently.

The first "high end" system I ever heard was at a friend's house and utilized the DM 7 Mk I version. I was very impressed by the clarity, imaging and detail I heard (Sansui, Pioneer, AR was all I knew up till then). I was also intrigued by the pedigree of these speakers - "British" speakers? Don't the Brits make lousy cars, what about the "British disease" etc., etc. I researched B&W (Bowers and Wilkins - a type of steak sauce?)and have been a fan ever since.

It's hard to give value ratings for speakers I had almost 2 decades ago, since the quality of speakers have improved so much.

Purchased At:   privately

Submitted by Allan Seelk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I had these speakers for some years, and was happy with them. They can't create the illusion of a life concert like the DCM Time Window's, but they are a very good compromise.
Smooth sound and adequate bass in smaller listening rooms.
They are power hungry like most speakers from B&W that were built in the 80's. 200 watts are OK. The protection system will disconnect them before you damage anything. Don't expect realistic dynamics from these fine speakers. They are softening everything somehow.