B&W DM 201

Submitted by tracy ray a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2014

Bottom Line:
I've had this v201 with me since my college years. It did everything from being a stereo CD speaker, to gaming speakers, keyboard monitor, served as rear surrounds and went into hiatus for a few years. Now in the 21st century, I've woken it up from its deep slumber and pair it with an vintage amp for stereo music duties.

Still sounds just as it was back in my college days without missing a beat. Of course it is not as robust as my newer B&Ws. But it still held its own. This pair is older than my kids! ... and even older than my marriage! LOL! Many speakers came and went, but somehow I kept them around. I feel it's best is at low to mid level volumes. Nice musical speakers. I have thought of replacing it with something more modern. But so far nothing within the $200-300 range bests it emphatically. So the v201 remains. It may turn out to be a family heirloom someday!

Submitted by Colin Darling a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a slightly different review of the B&W 201. I found that the top end was a little harsh and bright for my tastes in jazz and classical. As an experiment, I replaced the tweeter with one from an old pair of Braun L100s (soft dome fabric) that I had not been using. I also rewired the inards with Kimber Cable. It's not a complex job, although I did have to make the opening for the tweeter magnet a little bigger.
The result was an incredible surprise! My little 201s suddenly had a beautiful sweet top end. They do very well with solo acoustic music and vocals. The bottom end is lacking a bit, but I'm using them as a second system in a small room. At higher volumes the replacement tweeter shows it's deficiencies, but it's fabric, after all. After, about five years of lackluster performance out of the box, my 201s have served the last seven very well with only about an hours labour.

Purchased At:   Tabangi Electronics

Submitted by InvestPix a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
For the price, these speakers are pretty good. For pop, rock, and the like, sound clarity is good, the highs I have no problem with, however the bass is lacking (even my boom box has more!) but hey, what do you expect from small speakers...

For classical music though (which I listen to once in a blue moon) you need speakers with better sound definition. The speakers don't handle complex instrumentation well. They muddle it. Jazz doesn't sound bad at all, though.

Mine have celebrated their 10-year anniversary this year, and although I'm thinking of upgrading (to the 601 S2 perhaps) the 201s are still showing no sign of croaking.

Purchased At:   Dewar Audio

Submitted by pieter a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
These speakers don't have a wide frequency range and they won't shake the room, but they produce a very clear and tight sound and have a fantastic midrange. It seems like every instrument has its own speaker. Great speaker for casual listeners!!!

Submitted by paul o a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 1998

Bottom Line:
I like my 201sI use them as my rear speakers,although befofe I had large front speakers,I used them on stands as fronts.O.K. so a little bottom octave bass lacked for this purpose,but overall the sound was tight,and pleasant to the ear.I wonder if this means they are a little in-accurate?.Regardless they sound good,and handle a good deal of power for the size,plus good sensitivity means good bang for the buck.